• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Draper wtl330 variable speed mini wood lathe 240 vcolt

kaymania

Apprentice Member
Hi everyone, this is Kaymania again, following on from my intro yesterday, I saw this lathe on ebay. Is it any good? it's £78 at the moment and brand new. Should I be avoiding lathes like this like the plague?!! Or will it do just for pens? From the tiny bit of info I've gleaned so far, not sure if there's enough room between centres etc?

Thanks for any advice

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Clarke best avoided (for anything not just lathes). Draper just about OK similar to many other far eastern clones if you don't expect too much from it. 250 watts is fairly gutless.

Got to agree with Walter, that is pretty gutless for a lathe even if it is only doing pens, especially when there are 2nd hand Axminster or Record lathes around that are so much more better and not for much more.
I know you're on a limited budget but buy cheap buy twice springs to mind and a really cheap & nasty lathe may not enhance your woodturning experience.
A brand new small Axminster AWSL lathe would only set you back £190
Woodturning Lathes - Woodturning - Wood Working | Axminster.co.uk

This is the same as I started on and it did pens no bother & was half decent.

Matt

Registered
Plus one for the Axminster lathes, you won't go far wrong and the customer support is first class :banana:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
And you can get spares with the Axminster. Look on Ebay for it, sometimes the sell their reconditioned/returns on there for a lot less.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).