• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The Real World.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I see by the comments in my introduction that you poms are still under the impression that your island is in the top 1/2 of the world.
This is a correction to that ancient myth. :thumbs:

diversophy-large.jpg

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Different Orientations

Most early maps, before the wide-spread use of the compass, placed east at the top. This is generally thought to be due to the fact that the sun rises in the east. It was the most consistent directional maker.
Many cartographers show what they want to be the focus at the top of the map, and therefore, influence the orientation of the map. Many early Arab and Egyptian cartographers placed south at the top of the map because, having most of the world they knew of to the north of them, it drew the most attention to their area. Many early settlers of North America created maps with a west-east orientation that resulted from the direction that they primarily traveled and explored. Their own viewpoint greatly altered the orientation of their maps.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
No matter where you are on the map mate, Aussy has turned out to be a land of opportunity and here in the UK there is much talk on people wanting to emigrate down under so to speak. :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Just to think it was a voyage of punishment not so long ago ... :ciggrin:

Don't tell me this was a myth also ... :nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).