• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Apple bowl

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Well, I think I've cracked it, sort of.

From my previous exploits, and the brilliant advice offered by you lovely people, I've managed to finish a bowl!

I looked at my lathe and found the following:

Bent motor shaft
Tail stock and head stock do not align
Tool rest is above center
Wobbly bearing in the head stock

I think that's less than ideal!

The pulleys on the motor shaft have been epoxied into place too, so I can't get them off to remove the plate I need to get at the head stock bearings.

So, it's grin and bear it until the piggy bank floweth over!

I also called into the Toolpost and got me a 3/8 bowl gouge and a more forgiving apple blank.

Happy with this one, but there is a tool mark and when turning off the tenon it broke off and there are a few marks from the live center.

No idea how to get it back on the lathe to rectify them, so they get to add 'character'!

DSC01799.JPG

DSC01800.JPG

DSC01801.JPG

Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Gav

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Gav all I can say is bloody well done mate for a bowl made on a lathe that by the sound of it is only fit for the scrap heap you have done an excellent job but please take care a late with all them problems is a potential time bomb again well done
Your bowl can be reversed if you want to clean up the bottom if you have a chuck or faceplate fit it to the lathe mark the centre of the bowl base then place something soft over it like a folded wad of paper towelling place the bowl over it and bring the tailstock up to the centre of the bowl base and tighten it up this will hold the bowl in place reduce the lathe speed to around say 500 to start with see how it runs if it is stable then start to remove the damaged wood but dont go to close to the centre leave a small pip to be removed of the lathe with a hand chisel or skew happy turning

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Wow Gav that looks brilliant and done on a knackered lathe too... fantastic.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well done Gav. That is a marvellous bowl and can't wait to see the second if that's anything to go by.

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Thank you all, I'll certainly be limiting the size of blank until I get something a bit more stable!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Jim

Grand Master
Well done Gav, a very nice bowl indeed to say what you had to put up with .. :thumbs: Until you get sorted cash wise it may be an advantage for you to align the head and tail stock ..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).