• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pear wood (2nd bowl)

Paul

Fellow
image.jpg

This is pear wood, 2nd bowl I've done. I want to head towards a food usable shaped bowl for friends request. Hence the outside shape is practical rather than interesting....

image.jpg

I used a sorby multi tip scraper.

It's about 6.5" blank.

Any pointers gratefully received. The rim marks are from polishing the sanding sealer too much with shavings. I wondered if I could turn them into a feature..... I couldn't.

Paul

Fellow
Not interesting ? :thinks:

I think that looks the dogs dangly bits, what finish did you use ?

Thanks. All it is is celloaouse sanding sealer. But I then picked out a load of shavings and held them against the wood and it has really buffed it up to a high shine. Not sure if it will fade, the dark rim marks were because I held to much for too long....

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
do you mean the dark rings Paul, tis only burn marks so u could use a piece if formica or similar (even a piece of folded up sandpaper will leave burn marks if left on too long) & darken the rings a bit till they're black.

Still a nice looking & useable bowl.

Paul

Fellow
Thanks Steven I might just do it properly as you suggest. Only turners will know its was an original mistake :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wow Paul that looks to be a cracking bowl with a wonderful finish I think you can be forgiven for the burn marks that's all part of the learning curve well done 2nd bowl well all I can say is there sure is some talent coming up on this forum

Jim

Grand Master
Pear does look good Paul, you have done a great job on this bowl, love the finish.. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
For an experienced bowl turner, that would be one to be proud of Paul. Superb.

Paul

Fellow
Many many thanks for all your kind words of encouragement. Having followed everyone's posts on their work it genuinely makes me inspired to keep "doing another".

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).