• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tool test

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made two more carbide tip chisels this morning and thought about putting one of them to the test so here goes with the round tip and a piece of Iroko that Jim gave me yesterday I chose this wood on purpose as it isn't the easiest of woods to work yet another test for the chisel

It took 7min to turn the outside the photo is straight of the tool the only bit I did with another tool was the 1/8" dovetail
DSCF2109.JPG

Now the inside after 2min I got called in for lunch see you after I have had my fill
DSCF2110.JPG

Inside finished after another 6min straight of the tool again
DSCF2111.JPG

Sanded and two coats of sanding sealer
DSCF2113.JPG
More photos to follow of the finished bowl

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Lovely bowl Woody, the new tools look to be a resounding success, well done mate :thumbs::thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The finished bowl it is 8" x 2"
DSCF2114.JPGDSCF2115.JPG
The bottom with the 1/8" dovetail which shows no sign of strain from the tool this is why I made such a shallow dovetail as another test and it past all the test admirably
DSCF2117.JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You don't need new tools dad, You could do that with Vi's shovel or an old butter knife mate.
Love you init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You don't need new tools dad, You could do that with Vi's shovel or an old butter knife mate.
Love you init?

You know me Brian I just enjoy making me own tools silly thing is my bowl gouges will do the job anyway :winking::winking:

Paul

Fellow
Impressive stuff. I can just imagine woody stools, I mean woodys tools .co.uk. http://www.woodystools.co.uk but you might get some odd customers.

Though I guess you could do a range of dust masks to prevent the first version....:face:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Impressive stuff. I can just imagine woody stools, I mean woodys tools .co.uk. http://www.woodystools.co.uk but you might get some odd customers.

Though I guess you could do a range of dust masks to prevent the first version....:face:

I dont mind making them for friends Paul but thats were it ends I'm not interested in making them for the open market leave that for the youngsters LOL once ive made a few more I will want to move on to the next project

Paul

Fellow
.... LOL once ive made a few more I will want to move on to the next project

Absolutely otherwise it stops being fun and starts becoming work.... I think the trick is just do some endorsements..... :up::pounds:

Jim

Grand Master
Excellent Woody, and you really did push yourself going head to head with Iroko with untested tools .. Very difficult wood to work with but the bowl looks amazing my friend .. :wink:

Jim will be wanting it back how :winking:

Just setting off for it now Doug .. :love_it:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Lovely stuff Woody. You'll be growing your own trees next and getting a bee hive for your own wax. There isn't anything else is there. Amazing.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).