• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Doug's disc sander

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
After seeing the sanders folks have posted & also having quite a few spalted & burr pen blanks that I've been kindly given by forum members I finally sorted out a sander so I can get on & turn them.

I decided to utilise gear I already had so started with an old 26mm thick MDF sanding disc, this was cleaned up & sanded then attached to the lathe via a face plate. I rigged up a dial gauge to check how true the disc was running.

photo_zpsccf7a653.jpg

It was nearly 20 thou out but just a paper shim was enough to bring it within 1.5 thou over a full rotation.

photo5_zps961963b1.jpg

The next piece I wanted was a platform which I already had, I built this a while ago.

photo4_zps79ac72ba.jpg

It slides between the bed bars, is adjustable up & down & also has an adjustable fence, I use it for quite a few operations including drill segmented blanks accurately.

For the final piece in the jigsaw I pinched Terry's idea, thanks mate, I mounted a chuck on an L shaped bracket, added a couple of oak supports & used a drill bit & engineers square to ensure everything was square to the sanding disc.

photo3_zps87d48b89.jpg

Holding the bracket against the fence cleaning up the ends of a blank is child's play.

photo2_zpsb53f8eb5.jpg

Really pleased with how this has worked, it very quick & easy to set up so I've no excuses not to turn some spalted pens :whistling:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
By the way is that the chuck I gave you at Woody's open day ???? LOL:whistling::whistling::whistling:

:goesred::goesred::goesred:

It is Terry but shamefully I couldn't remember who had given it me at Woody's, I do apologise mate & thanks very much, as you can see it's been put to good use.

:goesred::goesred::goesred:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Doug is that a drill bit that you have mounted the blank on????
I have a set of cut down transfer punches and use the correct size for the barrel (tube) and square my blank off that way,!!! Food for thought !!!

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Doug is that a drill bit that you have mounted the blank on????
I have a set of cut down transfer punches and use the correct size for the barrel (tube) and square my blank off that way,!!! Food for thought !!!
No pulling the wool over your eyes Terry :whistling:
Yep it's a 6mm drill bit, I read in your post that you used transfer punches but I was keen to try it out, I'll have to keep an eye open for some punches

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
No pulling the wool over your eyes Terry :whistling:
Yep it's a 6mm drill bit, I read in your post that you used transfer punches but I was keen to try it out, I'll have to keep an eye open for some punches

You can get a full on Amazon and ebay for £10 a set and they will cover just about every size tube that you will ever need!!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Like it Doug I haven't made mine yet I have most of the stuff needed so I will have to do it soon

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good Doug, adding the punches will put the icing on the cake my friend .. :wink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug, Lots of thought gone on the drill is the weakest point the punches are solid and with burl tough stuff you need all the stability you can get watch the knuckles mate.

Peter.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Love it Doug ..but I haven't the expertise to make my own...will have to save up for a shop bought one methinks.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).