• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My haul !

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well here's some of the haul from yesterday, he's a nice man that Neil, a VERY nice man :funny:

There's Walnut, London Plane, Berberis, Laburnum, Mock Orange, Sycamore burr, Spalted Beech, Purpleheart and some others that Neil didn't know what they were but are lovely colours.

Keep me quiet for a bit, that's for sure.

Thanks again Neil.

SAM_2829.JPG

Here's one of the lumps of Olive as well.

SAM_2830.JPG

Anybody jealous yet ?

:ave_it::ave_it:

Jim

Grand Master
Looking forward to see what you can do with them now Phill .. :winking:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
You'll be changing your name to Terry at this rate Phill. :devil::devil:

Smashing haul well done Neil :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Phill, Jealousy is an unused word for me use your gains wisely from a very generous person, when you process the timber looks good at this stage. A mate of mine since passed was stationed in the United States with a seniour government position his next door neigbour asked him soon after arrival would you like to go fishing on the weekend he replied yes the next door fella said great using his private jet flew the two families to Alaska for the weekend. It was difficult for my mate and his family to keep their feet on the ground for the time he spent in the states diplomatic arrangements were such he had to entertain those near and far. He was happy to return to normality back here in Australia.

Kind Regards Peter.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Glad you like the wood Phil.
There is also Rengas, Berberis, Satinwood, Wenge, Wych Elm, and a bit of Fig, as someone asked about turning it recently.
The little bit below the Spalted Beech is interesting. It is a piece of Oak, cut from an old table top, it will probably need stabilising as you turn it, as it is very old, but it has spalted with red streaks. I can guarantee it will smell awful, (wear a mask) but it should make a lovely pen.
It may be an idea to cut the Olive into blanks now, and remove any shakes and re seal. Although this has been drying for 2 years now, I cut some today and it's far from ready, might give them a blast in the microwave!
Regards,
Neil

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well here's some of the haul from yesterday, he's a nice man that Neil, a VERY nice man :funny:

There's Walnut, London Plane, Berberis, Laburnum, Mock Orange, Sycamore burr, Spalted Beech, Purpleheart and some others that Neil didn't know what they were but are lovely colours.

Keep me quiet for a bit, that's for sure.

Thanks again Neil.

View attachment 4324

Here's one of the lumps of Olive as well.

View attachment 4323

Anybody jealous yet ?

:ave_it::ave_it:

No not jealous ......:mooney::ave_it::face:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Glad you like the wood Phil.
There is also Rengas, Berberis, Satinwood, Wenge, Wych Elm, and a bit of Fig, as someone asked about turning it recently.
The little bit below the Spalted Beech is interesting. It is a piece of Oak, cut from an old table top, it will probably need stabilising as you turn it, as it is very old, but it has spalted with red streaks. I can guarantee it will smell awful, (wear a mask) but it should make a lovely pen.
It may be an idea to cut the Olive into blanks now, and remove any shakes and re seal. Although this has been drying for 2 years now, I cut some today and it's far from ready, might give them a blast in the microwave!
Regards,
Neil

Thanks for the updated list, my memory ain't that good :sob:

Will do with the Olive, need to get something to seal the ends with though.

Like a kid in a sweet shop, can't decide which to do first.

Thank you again !

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Cheap candles will do the trick, for sealing pen blanks.
Melt down in an old pan and dip the end grain in, make sure the wax is hot, and the wood begins to "bubble" around the end.
The wax should look clear when cooled, if it looks white, it wasn't hot enough.
You can seal with old emulsion paint, but I have found that small blanks have to have the painted end completely removed, as the colour can leech into the end grain and mar the blank

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).