• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted Elm

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
This is another that I thought had survived, it may not as I got right to the death and it has started to crack through that spalting on the right. I wanted to go a bit thinner on the walls but decided not to risk giving it a flying lesson. :funny:

We will see if it survives, it will do as a gimme for someone I'm sure, some nice patterning in it as well.

Friction polish finish, 7 inch dia x 3 inch high.

SAM_2839.JPG

SAM_2836.JPG

SAM_2838.JPG

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
It might survive, who knows, it was one of those things where it must have been inside and not visible, only as I got near to finishing hollowing did it appear. Funny because what I noticed was a difference in sound as I hollowed, stopped the lathe, had a look and sure enough.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sad news Phill, A lot of effort in there a close mate of mine does lots of improbable bowls successfully as you have always a loss after the cracking experiences Woody would say stitch it save it trust you can save it.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Saw dust and supper glue are wonderful bowl savers splits happen it how you deal with them thats important
Phill that is a wonderful looking bowl turned to perfection a perfect shape and the thickness is just right and a very good finish to boot go to the top of the class Phill you done bloody well there mate love it :bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Luv the bowl and the wood Phil. I think it's a great job you've gone an bin an done.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).