• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel?

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Said before I had found some pen kits I had bought years ago, had a search for the mandrel and can't find it anywhere.

So, looking about I found this, it seems a bit bit cheaper than most, but where do you start.

Don't really want to start shelling out before I begin to walk again. Is this OK or do any know of problems with it. Any advice/help more than gratefully received.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
He is cheaper still by visiting his web site and he combines postage there which he doesn't on ebay.
Tools | Penkits UK
A god reliable seller nowadays have used him recently and my parcel arived in speedy time.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
He is cheaper still by visiting his web site and he combines postage there which he doesn't on ebay.
Tools | Penkits UK
A god reliable seller nowadays have used him recently and my parcel arived in speedy time.

That's the one I bought and did exactly what Grump says. I actually combined it with a few other bits as well. The mandrel is fine and was delivered very quickly.

Bob

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I'll add a bit more reassurance, Tony Parker buys his stuff from the same place in China as both PSI and TB do. Some of fun e turns stuff comes from the same factory/ outlet as well.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I'll add a bit more reassurance, Tony Parker buys his stuff from the same place in China as both PSI and TB do. Some of fun e turns stuff comes from the same factory/ outlet as well.

Do you know whether he gets his supplies of Bolt action pens from the same supplier as PSI or TB? since clearly, as evidenced by your helpful post here and this lengthy thread on IAP, they are not one and the same.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Do you know whether he gets his supplies of Bolt action pens from the same supplier as PSI or TB? since clearly, as evidenced by your helpful post here and this lengthy thread on IAP, they are not one and the same.

Walter,

(I recap on some of this info for those not totally in the know) penkitsuk, ie Tony Parker, who operates through both eBay and his own website, resells products bought from a company in Xiamen, Fujian province, China. This is the same company that Axminster buy some, but not all of their products. I know this as fact as neither remove all the manufacturers marks on the packaging!

I believe that the company that Tony Parker gets his kits from is not the same as the PSI manufacturer. I am not convinced that Timberbits get their kits from either of the other suppliers sources. The reason for this is that I can't see PSIs suppliers selling to TB, there was the start of a court case and lawyers letters, the outcome of which was TBs lawyers advising them not to ship their version of the bolt Action to US customers. I can't see PSIs supplier selling to TB, the power of the PSI buyers should have been able to turn the screw to stop the sale to other suppliers, especially if PSI put significant other business to that supplier. In terms of quality, the Chinese supplier (to Tony Parker) does not use as good a quality plating and the nose come has had a tendency to fall off. I have found quality issues with both the PSI and The TB (mark one) kits, the bolt action handle twists beyond the designed position. The TB kit (mark two) kit is of a superior design to both the bolt actions supplied by psi and tony Parker but it does forego the particular oversized traditional bolt action in favour of a knob. I suspect that the mark two kit from tb comes from dayacom, as their similar kit on their website is annotated with an Australian patent number - speculation though.

So after all that, three different companies in my opinion.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks Neil

It's all a bit of a lottery really, trying to get the best quality kits. Often hard to tell whether something that looks identical is from the same factory or a cheaper copy from somewhere else. That said, I have found issues with kits from most of the suppliers large and small. Thanks again for the info, it all helps.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).