• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How best to sharpen Carbide tips ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
OK, so I have my nice shiny Sorby Multi tool, and very nice it is too.

But, what kind of diamond file ( or what ) do I need to hone the tips with ?

And how often do you hone them?

Had a look around and as usual there's a bewildering array of choices and prices.

Can anyone give any advice ?

Matt

Registered
I think Woody said about running a diamond file across the top but I'm sure he can elaborate on that and help you out :thumbs:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I just lay mine flat on a 6" x 2" diamond stone and give them a few rubs job done or as Walter said with a sharpening holder they are very easy to make but if your going to use a grinder get a good quality stone dont use the cheep aluminium oxide grindstones

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I just lay mine flat on a 6" x 2" diamond stone and give them a few rubs job done or as Walter said with a sharpening holder they are very easy to make but if your going to use a grinder get a good quality stone dont use the cheep aluminium oxide grindstones

That's how I do it, too.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That's how I do it, too.

Hi Sharon I had some of yout tips of silver and made a tool up with one and I must say it is the best one of these tips I have ever used so thank you hope Andrew is doing well

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks all, I guess for the amount of use mine will get then 80 quid is probably over the top.

Something else to add to the never ending list :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).