• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sea Buckthorn

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Had a nice surprise yesterday when my mate from Lincolnshire turned up, as he was working in Lancashire for the day. He had a car full of goodies for me including some Sea Buckthorn that he had been scrounging for me. I cut up bit up today and I think it looks quite decent stuff. The amount he brought should be good for around 40 or so blanks. I'll put up a post when they are ready and if anyone wants to try some them PM me your address ...please wait until I re post first though as I'm prone to loosing things like addresses.

Attachments

• P1060306.JPG
    P1060306.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 53

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They look to be good Ed you should get some nice pens from them no bad being a jammy git is is

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Sure looks an interesting timber Ed, I look forward to seeing the results of your turning. :thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Never heard of this stuff so did a bit of research and discovered this. Appears that the only thing it doesn't do is cure erectile dysfunction but then jumping into a prickly bush never did anything for me!

Sea buckthorn is an herb. The leaves, flowers, and fruits are used to make medicine.

Sea buckthorn leaves and flowers are used for treating arthritis, gastrointestinal ulcers, gout, and skin rashes caused by infectious diseases such as measles. A tea containing sea buckthorn leaves is used as a source of vitamins, antioxidants, protein building blocks (amino acids), fatty acids and minerals; for improving blood pressure and lowering cholesterol; preventing and controlling blood vessel diseases; and boosting immunity.

Sea buckthorn berries are used for preventing infections, improving sight, and slowing the aging process.

The seed or berry oil is used as an expectorant for loosening phlegm; for treating asthma, heart disorders including chest pain (angina) and high cholesterol; for preventing blood vessel disease; and as an antioxidant. Sea buckthorn oil is also used for slowing the decline of thinking skills with age; reducing illness due to cancer, as well as limiting the toxicity of chemical cancer treatment (chemotherapy); balancing the immune system; treating stomach and intestinal diseases including ulcers and reflux esophagitis (GERD); treating night blindness and dry eye; and as a supplemental source of vitamins C, A, and E, beta-carotene, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids.

Some people apply sea buckthorn berries, berry concentrate, and berry or seed oil directly to the skin for preventing sunburn; for treating radiation damage from x-rays and sunburns; for healing wounds including bedsores, burns, and cuts; for acne, dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, skin ulcers, and skin color changes after giving birth; and for protecting mucus membranes.

In foods, sea buckthorn berries are used to make jellies, juices, purees, and sauces.

In manufacturing, sea buckthorn is used in cosmetics and anti-aging products.

How does it work?
Sea buckthorn contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, and other active ingredients. It might have some activity against stomach and intestinal ulcers, and heartburn symptoms.

So if you come away from the doc with pills of this stuff - oh boy are you I'll!

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Never heard of this stuff so did a bit of research and discovered this. Appears that the only thing it doesn't do is cure erectile dysfunction but then jumping into a prickly bush never did anything for me!

Sea buckthorn is an herb. The leaves, flowers, and fruits are used to make medicine.

Sea buckthorn leaves and flowers are used for treating arthritis, gastrointestinal ulcers, gout, and skin rashes caused by infectious diseases such as measles. A tea containing sea buckthorn leaves is used as a source of vitamins, antioxidants, protein building blocks (amino acids), fatty acids and minerals; for improving blood pressure and lowering cholesterol; preventing and controlling blood vessel diseases; and boosting immunity.

Sea buckthorn berries are used for preventing infections, improving sight, and slowing the aging process.

The seed or berry oil is used as an expectorant for loosening phlegm; for treating asthma, heart disorders including chest pain (angina) and high cholesterol; for preventing blood vessel disease; and as an antioxidant. Sea buckthorn oil is also used for slowing the decline of thinking skills with age; reducing illness due to cancer, as well as limiting the toxicity of chemical cancer treatment (chemotherapy); balancing the immune system; treating stomach and intestinal diseases including ulcers and reflux esophagitis (GERD); treating night blindness and dry eye; and as a supplemental source of vitamins C, A, and E, beta-carotene, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids.

Some people apply sea buckthorn berries, berry concentrate, and berry or seed oil directly to the skin for preventing sunburn; for treating radiation damage from x-rays and sunburns; for healing wounds including bedsores, burns, and cuts; for acne, dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, skin ulcers, and skin color changes after giving birth; and for protecting mucus membranes.

In foods, sea buckthorn berries are used to make jellies, juices, purees, and sauces.

In manufacturing, sea buckthorn is used in cosmetics and anti-aging products.

How does it work?
Sea buckthorn contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, and other active ingredients. It might have some activity against stomach and intestinal ulcers, and heartburn symptoms.

So if you come away from the doc with pills of this stuff - oh boy are you I'll!

Or you can just suck on one of Ed's pens. :funny::funny::funny:

Ralphsputin

Now I've made Sea Buckthorn juice and syrup before (tons and tons of it down the East Lothian coast) but I never thought of making pens with it! Come this year's harvest I'll take a saw as well as gloves, fork and bucket. Now Buckthorn - does it need seasoning?

No, just sugar!!

Sorry - I'll get my coat.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).