• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woodturning clubs

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Is there one near you and would you consider joining it?

What would you expect from such a club?

Me, i would join to see what i can learn to improve on the objects i like to turn. Is what i am doing the correct way, or is there an easier way? :thinks:

What would you hope to see or learn. :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I used to visit a carving club a few years ago with a mate from work. I enjoyed it at the time, and there were some great carvers in the club. A the end of the year we would all meet for a meal paid for by our £1.50p a week subs. :thumbs: I stopped going as it was a long drive for me and with it been an evening course i was home to late for my early morning shifts. :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
I doubt that i would join a club, but i don't mind walking into places to see if i could learn anything ... :devil:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have been to East Yorkshire Woodturners a couple of times and I have to still make my mind up whether it's beneficial or not.
They have competitions but normally you watch a professional doing his bit but when there is 40 or so other people there you are watching screen as a camera is mounted near the lathe!!
Regards
Terry

Jim

Grand Master
Maybe by joining a club you could find a mate who lives close by who you could visit or he visit you and learn from each other. I know where you are coming from Terry, watching a screen wouldn't make me feel that i was there, i could watch a screen sat at home.... :whistling:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I would also agree, watching something on a screen whilst in the same room of the demo doesn't make you feel part of whats going on! :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).