• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New for me

Pete B

Registered
Asked to make this for a shop in South Durham for a window display.
600mm long knitting needles in Oak.
They are to be used as well i am told.
Gizmo the Jack Russell for scale

Pete
2014-02-07 20.59.28.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Interesting commission, just the sort of thing that makes turning so much fun, nicely made Pete :thumbs::thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Very nice Pete, I hope you get the satisfaction of seeing them on display, it gives you a good feeling when people point them out.
I made some a few years ago for a wool shop window, coincidently in oak too, from a load of fence posts I was given.
They are weathering well still on display, I cant help but turn my head to check whenever I drive down that High Street in Cheshunt.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Pete, a good bit of turning there but Gizmo does look a bit worried.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
SWMBO used needles that size or larger to knit just asked the Oracle she used needles called Broomstick about an inch round made from plastic sause in timber would be too heavy the inside the front door mat made from stockings still looks great made about thirty eight years ago in use since in fact I will take a pic soon. Like your needles.

Peter.

Pete B

Registered
Thanks Guys,
i enjoyed making them, i don't actually know the shop as it was though a company that i do bits and pieces for occasionally, but i will have to find out because i would like to see them on display.
Silver and Paul, Gizmo is fine, he wasn't the first time though !! :goesred:

Pete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Pete our front inside door mat part of asked the Oracle how she wielded the enormous needles she said they were hollow plastic (makes sense) SWMBO took 72 Care Bears she had knitted and made for the Red Cross this week to Red Cross HQ This week the inevitable happened I dropped my camera about a metre the lens on switching on normally comes out 35mm and was hit to an angle of 45 degrees during a sphincter tightening moment I moved it back to parrallel it popped into place works fine started breathing again.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 16

Jim

Grand Master
Hope we get to see the hands that will be using them Peter .. :goesred:

I hope you get to see them on display also, it must be a good feeling knowing your work will be displayed in a shop window my friend .. :winking:

Pete B

Registered
Thanks for sharing that Peter.
I just thought they were for a display with some really thick wool, but not really any practical use.
Little did i know they really have a genuine use.
This must be why we turn and some of our good ladies knit, and i know nothing about turning, but i do like the mat as does the boss lady.

Pete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Pete I thought after turning Wilmas mat over would show more clearly how the knitting part looks however SWknows said why? she also makes full layettes for new born babies where the new mums have not the first thought as to how to proceed and are in need. I will tell the good lady of you and your wifes kind words thanks mate knitting needles are like an armory here in all sizes the good lady has been my best buddy now for nigh on 62 yrs now and she is rarely idle was knitting care bears watching tv earlier on . A footnote on mats it was easy to collect the stockings in our house with five daughters my son and I were outnumbered.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).