• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cheap CNC drag tip.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I appreciate not everyone will take any notice nor have the slightest interest in this subject but there are some who may so for their benefit here we go.
I have a lighter to engrave for a friend which is a tubular shape I told the owner to hold fire as my spring loaded tip is acting up again.
I paid a lot of money for this, albeit a long time ago, it sat in a drawer and went rusty inside.
I restored it best I could to be of use again but it didn't last long before showing lots of lateral play and jumping on the drag missing bits of engraving.
Whilst in the shed today working on a new project I picked up spring loaded center punch after using it I had that eureka moment.
The new project will go on back burner, I have some serious play to do, pulled the center punch to pieces and discovered a stronger spring in the top to that at the bottom, bonus it is now an adjustable engraver.
drilled a block of wood and turned it down to fit in my cnc and more by luck than judgement it happened to be a perfect fit for putting the tip and cap on the punch.
Tried the soft spring first which worked admirably then swapped round and used the stronger spring this is better still, lower the head to make contact at the point it started to compress start dragging.
This will never replace the fourth axis but it coped so well with the radius that I thought it worth shouting out loud here.
Order going in to Proops for some replacement tips and further play, this is a cheap spring loaded engraving tool for your engraving machine.
No pics it didn't happen, ear yar.

P1080077.JPG

P1080078.JPG

P1080079.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
ingenious Brian. I don't know a lot about cnc machines at the moment but am reading up so find any bits and pieces good reading.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You lost me here Brian, you need to explain it person, coffee, no milk or sugar, what times good for you?

I am at work all bloody week init?
Would love to pop in for refreshment will have to wait.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thinking about it, it may be better for you to come and see it for yourself, no need for explanations then.
I will at home all weekend bar a trip to Tesco's and kettle is always on at our house init?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Looks good, Brian. Any links for a good spring-loaded centre punch? Also, does the 'real deal' not have a diamond tip or summat similar? Would be interesting to know how quickly the centre punch tip wears.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looks good, Brian. Any links for a good spring-loaded centre punch? Also, does the 'real deal' not have a diamond tip or summat similar? Would be interesting to know how quickly the centre punch tip wears.

Hi David yes the real deal has a diamond cutter in it which to be honest I was never impressed with, ideal for cutting vinyl / car deacls and that sort of thing but never impressed on any metal it scratched too fine a line for my liking.
The punch itself is nothing special I got mine from Proops many moons ago (Automatic Centre Punch Ref: M0235) and only because I could get replacement tips for it (Spare Point, For Auto Centre Punch Ref: M0236) and haven't seen them anywhere else.
A shop around would find them cheaper I dare say, the tips themselves I would hope will last quite well on soft metals there is plenty of room for regrinding, the one in the pics is certainly nowhere near new it has punched many a nail etc.

Jim

Grand Master
I haven't a clue what you are saying Brian, but i like the fact that you are sharing it my friend .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).