• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Elm Burr

penturner.dk

Got a nice piece of wood from a fellow woodturner. Had it on the shelf for some months, but finally it got turned.
Wanted to make it look old fashion with thick walls,
It was full of small holes from insects, don't know what you call them, here the expression wormholes does it.:bwink:
To ses the picture full size click below:
http://www.penturner.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/elm2.jpg

Attachments

• elm3.jpg
    elm3.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 43

Jim

Grand Master
That is a beautiful piece of elm Allan and a beautiful bowl made from it. Thanks for showing !!!!

Exactly what Terry says Allen, great piece of timber my friend .. :bwink:

The phrase we use is Woodworm BTW .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely piece of wood and dealt with extremely well to make a fantastic bowl, with a lot of character assisted by the wee beasties.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Allan, I choose thick walls mostly over thin much more practical IMHO and they last and last in the rough and tumble of life I have seen a few catastrophies with thin ones, with grain like that I would stop turning at that stage every time, beautiful burl and bowl.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).