• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Finally been to Snainton

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Managed to get to snainton this morning, could have done with a boat the amount of rain that came down as we drove north :eeeeek:
Fortunately after a good hour or so looking round the store the weather had picked up a little for the drive home & obligatory pit stop for cream tea. :nooidea:

I really enjoyed searching through the gear, I was a little surprised by my first impression of the place as we drove up to what would best be described as a large shed, but after getting inside all doubts melted away, perhaps it was the aroma of all the dried wood on display or all the lovely gear to browse :whistling:

Back home & this is what I`d bought.

Don`t know if the Mitre Bond activator is on their web site but they had a dustbin full at £1 a tin so as you can see I stocked up on 4 :banana:

The wood from right to left is Tambootie, Palmwood, rippled spalted Ash, Laburnum, Green acrylic blank, Kingswood, Thuya, Kingswood & 2 Bocote blanks.

Not a bad day for a Tuesday :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A good stock there Doug, but I can't stop looking at your bench.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Yeah it looks a bit of a dump from the outside but they have a good selection of wood which I see you have put on your POSH bench !!!! LOL

Yebbut if you look on the bottom left hand corner of the bench top you will see were I routered into it days after finishing it, which at least knocked the newness of it & stopped me being precious about it.......not that was my first thought when I did it :whistling::whistling:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Yebbut if you look on the bottom left hand corner of the bench top you will see were I routered into it days after finishing it, which at least knocked the newness of it & stopped me being precious about it.......not that was my first thought when I did it :whistling::whistling:

If I had known you were going today Doug I would have joined up with you as I get 20% off British native woods !!!!:whistling:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Some nice timber there Doug. I tried some Palmwood before Christmas. It looks spectacular when finished. Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If I had known you were going today Doug I would have joined up with you as I get 20% off British native woods !!!!:whistling:
Why doesn't that surprise me :wink::funny::funny::funny:

To be honest today has been a birthday treat from the wife for my 40th birthday * so I didn't have much to do with the planning, just waiting on a curry while I'm typing :banana::banana:

* That could be plus VAT :face:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Some nice timber there Doug. I tried some Palmwood before Christmas. It looks spectacular when finished. Glad you enjoyed the visit.

That's good news Keith, I've not turned Palmwood before but it certainly looks striking :banana:

& it's thanks to you that I ended up going to Snainton, if it hadn't been for your thread a little while ago I probably would never have gone :thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).