• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Need Help Casting

Suzan

Apprentice Member
I am making some hair stick out of clear casting resin. I have never done this before.
I have mixed the resin , poured into 9inch × 1inch tubes (added colour mica powder). Left for about a week so set well. The problem I am having is they are snapping in half as I knock them out of the tube. Has any body any idea what I am doing wrong. Regards Suzan

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Suzan and welcome to the forum sorry I cant help with your question but someone will be along soon who will be able to help you I'm sure

Suzan

Apprentice Member
Thanks Rowdy, taken a look. I think I am going to have another go with a different batch of resin. I will follow your instructions, might get it right this time. I have bought a resin blank to try it out on my lathe, the result was pretty good but far to small for an adult. My grandaughter set eyes on it and it's gone. regards Suzan

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Susan ..welcome to the forum...can you throw any light on what you do by posting up some pictures ?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Suzan and welcome to the forums.I believe you mean this sort oif thing.
For those who don't know what hair sticks are, I wear them all the time iinit?
Glad Rowdy has sorted you out, he knows what he is talking about.

20140201_172736.jpg

hair-accessories-hair-sticks.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Suzan .. :thumbs: Sounds to me as though you have your hardener mix wrong, try reducing the amount that you used on your last batch, as too much definitely makes the resin brittle .. Good luck .. :wink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the mad house Suzan.:face:

I'm sure there is a lot of expertise on here to help you out, sound like rowdy has out you in the right diredpction.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ed Kanzashi they may well be, in another country. Here they are hair sticks in English.
I believe the term Kanzashi actually pertains to the decorative ornaments / flowers that adorn the hair sticks but I could be and often am wrong init?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Brian you are probably right ...I blame my Japanese granny for putting ideas in my head.:whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).