• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Maple dish

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Can't call it a bowl so I've decided it's a dish

Maple, again courtesy of Doug :up: I hope he has the woodworm and I just have the holes they left. Tried to turn them out but would have got an egg cup so decided they are now a "feature".

Friction polish finish, 7 inch dia x 2 inch high.

SAM_2863.JPG
SAM_2864.JPG
SAM_2865.JPG

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks a good effort Phill, base is a little large for my liking but it probably looks as different again in the flesh :thumbs::thumbs:

I've plenty of woodworm, they are the only pets I have :nooidea:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I like the shape of the bowl and the foot design the only thing I would have done a bit different is add a bit of shape to the foot by angling it in towards the top just to give it a bit of balance a bit like this but good for you for stepping outside the box and trying well done I like it Phill
:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:
DSCF2006.JPG

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Good idea Woody ! Shame I didn't think of that :sob:

This whole design thing is a big learning curve for me.

Funny everyone said that the foot was too big, first thing SWMBO obeyed said last night was "foot's too big".

I still love her though :ave_it:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good idea Woody ! Shame I didn't think of that :sob:

This whole design thing is a big learning curve for me.

Funny everyone said that the foot was too big, first thing SWMBO obeyed said last night was "foot's too big".

I still love her though :ave_it:

We are all still learning Phill and the only way to learn is to try new ideas so full marks to you my friend I'm well proud of you

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think thats a good looking bowldishplatter Phil, have to agree about the foot though.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Phil and little helpers to make your features too. Microwave the little blighters... 30secs to a minute will ensure all their teeth fall out. :funny::funny::funny:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Lovely effort, Phil! You're already well beyond my level. Had to smile at Woody hijacking your thread with his bowl - just shows you still have a way to go ...

Jim

Grand Master
Great effort Phill, i can't give criticism on something i don't make and i don't have the experience the others have, but i can agree with others on the good shape the bowl is . But most of all i can a massive improvement on the bowls you are making today .. Well done my friend .. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I'm not qualified to comment Phil but I can see what the others are saying about the foot being a bit to big . Is it too late to make it a bit smaller ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
If I grow some bigger cojones and put it on some kind of jam chuck then I might be able to take it down.

Don't want to give it flying lessons though.

:fart:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
If I grow some bigger cojones and put it on some kind of jam chuck then I might be able to take it down.

Don't want to give it flying lessons though.

:fart:

Phil, it's not as hard as you think, it's just having the balls to do it the first time then you'll wonder why you were dithering before, just mind and capture both sides tho (headstock & tail stock) before switching on.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Right Phill lets get this sorted first a question will it fit over the bed bars if so put your chuck on the lathe fold up some a wad paper towel and place it over the chuck like so
DSCF2001.JPG
Next find the centre of your recess then place the dish over the paper towel and bring the tailstock into play and trap the dish in-between the chuck and tailstock
DSCF2002.JPG
Bring the tool rest up start the lathe not to fast at first and start to remove or reshape the foot with a spindle gouge turned on its side if you are going to remove it then leave the centre to be removed by hand of the lathe
DSCF2005.JPGDSCF2005.JPG

if you want to just re shape the food then just put it back on your chuck don't over tighten it though start the lathe again slowly just in case the bowl has changed shape and is out of balance then rework the foot with a spindle gouge on its side and take light cuts
hope this helps mate its not that hard to do honest

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks Woody, that's what I had in my mind.

It's just the need for a pair of those plastic pants when I start the lathe up that's bothering me. :ciggrin:

Does it help if you use one of those non slip mat things like you use under a chopping board on top of the paper towels, to give a bit of extra grip?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).