• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Green Laburnum

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I don't do much green turning but when I got offered a 5" diameter branch the other day I knew exactly what I wanted to try with it.

You can see how wet it was from the moisture seeping out round the screw just before I mounted it in the chuck.

photo1_zps68ac9013.jpg

I had to apply some thin CA to the pith as it showed signs of splitting as I turned it.

photo2_zps16e2a2d9.jpg

But I was pleased with the results

photo5_zpsa8f11b66.jpg

photo4_zpsfc60b92f.jpg

What shape it ends up is another matter, though I've given it a good soaking in oil & wrapped it in kitchen towel so only time will tell.

Paul

Fellow
That's great. I so like the idea of green turning, then putting it away and seeing what you get later. Just great.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Great bowl Doug as you say what shape will it end up as LOL that half the fun of turning the core (pith)will probably bulge out on both sides and wont that look good

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug my first thought a Martian Face then how beautiful that creation really is I join with others to say exciting bowl mate.

From the land of contrasts Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking bowl Doug, love the shape it is now, lets hope it doesn't change to much .. :thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Doug,

A lovely wood is laburnum and you've made a lovely piece from it! Good luck with the drying. All my green laburnum eventually split, so here's hoping for success. If it does split remember the surgeon trick - put stitches down the crack - just like a shoelace.

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).