• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

WorkSharp WS3000 / ProEdge?

naxie

Registered
I'm toying (read fancy a new gadget) with something like the Sorby ProEdge after being impressed with a belt sanders ability to shape metal whilst making my own tools this week. (Another thread to follow when my cutters arrive from Capt Eddie)

I know a few of you have the ProEdge and seem to like it but I have also been reading alot of interesting stuff on the Worksharp WS3000.

I already have a load of Tormek jigs which I can use on the WS3000 and its alot cheaper than the Sorby if I need to get the deluxe version with the jigs for turning.

Can I use the Tormek jigs on the Sorby?

The Sorby would be the safest tried and tested purchase but the WS3000 has a lot of plus points.

Being able to use abrasive disks from ToolStation / Screwfix

Making MDF disks and using cutting compounds for a really fine edge.

The ease of sharpening wood chisels etc to name but a few.

Has anybody had any experience with the WS3000?

Any input or opinions welcomed. :thinks:

And I know I should just do it by hand and save the cash!

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I had a Worksharp 3000 & other than honing its a complete waste of money, there isn't enough abrasive surface area to grinding, the abrasive is worn away before the grinding is done.

I sold it after owning one for a couple of months, I bought a Pro edge 2 years ago & wild horses wouldn't drag it away from me.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Pro edge for me great bit of kit and so easy I have looked at the other one but never took the plunge been a grinder and oil stone man most of my life but not any more

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Have to put my hand up with the ProEdge gang - mine is only a couple months old but I love it so much I'm afraid I'm going to turn all my chisels into shorties in double quick time! Looked at the WS3000 but never did any more than that.

I highly doubt the Tormek jigs will work on the Sorby - can't see where you'd mount them.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Best of British fortune Ed in your choosing mate but I do like your conclusion I could just do it by hand. I have lots of special tools not in use.

Peter.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
You can make the Tormek fingernail grind jig work on the Pro Edge, but I had to drill a small block of aluminium to fit the one to the other.

naxie

Registered
You can make the Tormek fingernail grind jig work on the Pro Edge, but I had to drill a small block of aluminium to fit the one to the other.

Thats the annoying thing Doug, I have the Sorby bench grinder jig and the Tormek one, identical apart from the mounting and they want me to buy another one?

I think a mod with a block of aluminium is in order! :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Keep us informed Ed, i like the pro-edge just because i can present a tool to it and walk away within seconds .. No fiddling with it .. :thumbs:

naxie

Registered

Arrgghhh, I'm so tempted! Poolewood seem to be well priced and I have delt with them before with great success.:devil:

Are there any "must have" accessories?

Are the trizact belts worth a go?

Is it warm enough to sleep in the workshop if the purchase doesn't go down well with the other half? :thinks:

I've finally managed to give up smoking so maybe I can justify it as a well done present! :bwink:

Last edited:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Well done on beating the nicotine Ed. I've been struggling for years to stop and now they're really getting to me. Funnily enough I stopped drinking 12 years ago no problem but the cigs are a different matter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Are the trizact belts worth a go?

The trizact belts aren't really necessary for turning tools, they are finer grits so more useful for bench chisels & plane irons etc, they do give a very sharp edge so worth getting if you need to sharpen such tools.

naxie

Registered
Yes I do Doug, mostly my Dads though, who brings me out a carrier bag of dull edged delights on a regular basis! :funny:

I was thinking about for carbide tips mostly though.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Ed, I bought mine from Poolewood and was very happy with his service. Can't comment on belts, although l recall reading somewhere that tonsharpen carbide tools you need the diamond belt at well over a hundred quid ...

:goesred::goesred:

naxie

Registered
Just to let you all know, after an extensive week of negotiations, I have now been given a purchase order. :love_it:

A call to Poolewood should be incoming on Monday.:thumbs:

Last edited:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Ed you don't need the diamond belt to sharpen carbide tips just a fine diamond stone a drop of water a few rubs and your done much cheaper

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).