• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Memorial trophy

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My sisters hubby was a scout master all his adult life, he retired last year. poor sod can hardly walk these days his knees are so bad.
He came out of retirement to take the helm again for a while.
He handed the reigns over to a young fella Tim who upped and died of cancer a few months into the job.
Tim was a well respected popular member of the scout movement locally and also well known and liked in our local pubs and clubs.
Extremely energetic and a great fund raiser for many charities, a big drinker of tea who carried his billy everywhere with him.
I was asked to make the base for a trophy in memoriam of him.
A piece of sapele donated by the woodmill at Ayot St Lawrence was turned last weekend and left for the lacquer to dry till this weekend.
Went in shed this morning to find it had developed a split in what is to be top and showing like a beacon.
So now the bottom is top and the burner sits inside.
10-1/2 inches Diameter 2-3/4 inches high will be covered in plaques as it is won by the scout challenges.
Rest in peace Tim.

P11080094.jpg

P1080093.jpg

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Good on ya Brian, a fitting tribute to someone who obviously was well liked.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That sure is different Brian nice idea the boys will love it and want to win it just to get a shield on it with there name on

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I hope so dad it took some effort to get this far, what with it splitting as it dries.
I did think it was stable until I saw that.
Hey Ho I hope they like it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).