• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

magestic squire in Jet

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

this was a commission for a fountain pen collector. It was to be in Green and Gold as requested except i only had 3/4 and the green is quite hard and brittle, so it broke. More ordered and am trying to appease him bu offering this one as a demo until the other arrives. There is a tiny mark where the drill bit touched the clip when i was removing the crystal so i wouldn't have sent this one anyway. I was wondering whether mirror paint might bodge it unnoticeably.
Black is trustone 'Jet' and quite soft, well ish.
Broad nib as requested.
The lower barrel is round as its easy to go out of round as i don't have any expanding mandrels yet.
Be brutal please as thats the only way i can improve.

Regards

Pete

Jet.jpg
jet2.jpg
jet4.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Only thing I will say is, why remove the crystal and what would you replace it with?
Looks good to me from what I can see in the pics, not so keen on the reflections.

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

the crystal was removed by request, as he preferred the look without it.
I do as well to be honest as it is a big pen and the crystal doesn't suit, but thats just me.
So i cut and polished a 4.5mm domed piece of the barrel material. Twice actually as the first one decided to hide itself in the usual pile and shavings, i had a big piece of card underneath to catch it just in case, which didn't work.
The black reflective stuff is a bit Marmite, your right

Pete

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Understood Pete but sounds like a lot of fiddling, I wouldn't bother with all that I would just go for another kit.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Pete,

lovely pen that.

If you don't want to fiddle about with the crystal but want a large'ish pen then look at the Pristina, Roman Harvest or Spring blossom from TB, all decent size pens similar to the Majestic and I believe better quality too.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I quite like that, its something different and I like the closed end touch.

I can see the reason for removing the stone if it's a for a man, bit girlie otherwise.:cower:

Really nice finish as well.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I like that Pete and on a pen like that I can see that a crystal would make it a bit tacky for a man. I like the closed end too. For the Green have you tried Malachite?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thank you young Steven my point exactly if the bling is not required use a blingless kit init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
My two penny worth Peter I have a lot of the Empress kits and I like your idea of replacing the crystal with a matching material for men and will be copying your idea thank you by the way love the pen

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My two penny worth Peter I have a lot of the Empress kits and I like your idea of replacing the crystal with a matching material for men and will be copying your idea thank you by the way love the pen

With that point of view I see the sense and I like the closed end, that alters the whole aspect of the kit,
Still to fiddly for me to be bothered, carry on as you were.

Pete B

Registered
Hi,
Grump/Steven I do agree about the different kits, i have not tried the pristina or the spring blossom. Is one of those the one where you have to put material on the clip as well, or can you pass on that part ?
He wanted a big pen and the only ones i had around were statesmans both gold and titanium, magestic and Gents in Rhodium.
He picked the Magestic.
Woody its not my idea i'm sure i saw it somewhere else a while ago so can't take credit for it.
he hasn't said yes.
Paul I have some malachite but the gentleman picked green and gold, i think your right it would go better with this kit anyway, without the gold. But its what was picked.

Pete

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The customer is always right, until he deals with me init?
If he chose it then he should have it, good luck I hope he goes for the black one I like it and would be very happy with it.
Who was who said "you can have any colour you like as long as its black"? Henry Ford I believe.
But who was it who said "what shade of black would you like"?

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Peter, it looks very clean and sharp and one i would be proud of .. If i was to make a change it would be to remove some of the hump at the top of the bottom barrel .. This is my opinion only and not a critique .. :thumbs:

Pete B

Registered
Your right Jim and i like critique trust me. The Guy wanted a big chunky pen for his big hands.

I've just used it prior to posting and it is very big in your hands, weighty too, the weight would be an issue normally but hopefully he will like it.

Regards

Pete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter, coming in later in this post as I do from here I really like your pen the removal and replacement on the clip loved the entry shape into the pen top as well, the colour is fine and I wish you well passing through the phases until satisfaction for you and the customer is completed.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Pete,
I don't think most would alter a top end kit in such a radical way so thumbs up on that front. I have often thought that closed end pens are a bit of a gimmick in that we make them because we can. The removed metal at the closed end pens obviously has a function if it is a postable pen, but regardless it also has a form function in that it balances the pen by having matching metal top and bottom. The kit that you have is very angular and I don't think that the domed end fits with the kit. I think that this sort of kit needs a bold end, angular with perhaps something like a couple of lines to dimensionally mimic the lines on the removed metal work or something to balance the decoration on the other end of the pen.

I'm an arm chair critic on this as I've done a couple but no where near as adventurous as this.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).