• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

No morse taper socket!

neiloboe

Apprentice Member
So I took the plunge and bought myself a starter lathe on eBay. In my excitement I didn't read up about it properly and it would seem the lathe doesn't have a morse taper socket on either the headstock or tailstock. The headstock is 3/4" 16tpi. Will I be able to get some sort of adapter so that I can use MT1 or MT2 tooling?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
What make of lathe is it not a problem on the headstock as you can get a drive to fit some chucks but that is the expensive way

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Post what lathe it is and sure someone on here has come across it at one time or another. You can get chuck adapters for mt's but depends on your budget for what you want..

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think I know the lathe you have bought Neil it is a real beginner lathe with no taper but you can get chucks to fit with no problems.
I cant remember what the fitting is in the taillstock Nor what I did to get round any issues I had.
My grandson found one in a skip that the lads in the factory next door were throwing out he had some bars welded ion the nuts to lock banjo and tailstock as it has nuts to tighten them.
Its the one with the blue box and belt change for speeds init?
Similar to this Clarke CWL1000 Wood Turning Lathe | eBay

Paul

Fellow
... And so it all begins, to be fair at £70 it'll prove to you , whether you like the idea or not.

I like the cunning plan though Baldrick, because if rubbish you have an excuse to upgrade already!

Alas the chaps with the brains here will get you sorted out. So delete their answers if you need to convince the wife later.

neiloboe

Apprentice Member
I'm not afraid of the occasional bodge, as long as it's a safe bodge! Annoyed with myself for not downloading the manual before I bid on it!

Paul

Fellow
I'm not afraid of the occasional bodge, as long as it's a safe bodge! Annoyed with myself for not downloading the manual before I bid on it!

Ignore me as I'm a newby to this, but, it looks fine, and a sensible price, at the end of day to make pens, you need to spin the wood. Like me you can be just as rubbish on a 1k machine as a £70 one, no difference. The chisel and the skill will be the same. Ok you can't make big bowls... But you want to make pens, perfect...... More money on toys....I mean kit.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
No big deal you can get threaded attachments to fit the headstock thread it is a common size. The rest is unknown until you say.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You can get a mandrel to fit the 34 x 16tpi headstock spindle from America so I'm sure they can be found somewhere in the uk https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=3GETwmoqbuxgvWyeodaDSQ&bvm=bv.61535280,d.ZGU
also pen state industry sell them and some of the members on here use them
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=uG-yXdaMHXZ_kmAQLGQXpA&bvm=bv.61535280,d.ZGU

If your lathe is the one Grump posted that is the same lathe I started with over 20 years ago and it wasnt a bad bit of starter kit although limited and very basic it will get you started

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
You won't find an adapter for an mt to fit your lathe, I believe the best option would be to buy a chuck as they have adapters to fit the 1" 16tpi on your lathe, not the cheapest but I think the simplest and quickest solution.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You can turn pens without a mandrel. Turn between centers, simples and more acurate.
Get yourself a chuck and make some collets for it and you can do the same as anyone else on their more expensive lathes.
No need to be defeated or think you have wasted your money, just a different approach required init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).