• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

pen kits

Jim

Grand Master
I used to get them from China but the cost of postage got ridiculous, plus i also got a bill from TNT custom tax or something along that line. :down:

Now from Timberbits in Australia, free postage and no other charges ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
is there no charges ordering from aus no matter what you spend:thinks:

Well i have never had any, thou i do know (Keith) Yorkshireman did occur some ... If i remember correctly .. :thinks:

The pen kits that i use now are mainly Slimline's and Barons, with the odd high-end kit thrown in ... :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I get mine from Turners Retreat, thou don't turn many pens now, i make little toys etc. :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I get mine from Timberbits also. Very quick with the postage. I used to share some of the costs with Jim when he ordered from China, but the cost of postage was just about matching the price of the items that was bought. :down:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I only use Timberbits now, excellent service and price. You've just got to be careful what you spend. Over $80 aussie dollars and its post free by normal air mail and takes about a week and a half. Over £200 aussie dollars and it comes by courier in 3 days. The only snag with this is its the couriers responsibility to collect the import tax so a few days after you get the pens TNT then chase you for about another 25% of the original cost. I now spend roughly $100ad at a time and haven't had a problem since.
Barons and slimlines tend to be my favourite. I made a few propelling pencils but had a problem with the mechanism. Timberbits replaced them no problem and have brought out a new mechanism that fits a sierra and cigar pen so I'm going to give these a try.

keith

penturn

Apprentice Member
I thought I would give Timberbits ago, certainly cheaper :thumbs: kept my order under $100 Aus dollars , see what happens! Nice pen blanks they have although a very small selection. I will you you informed regarding the tax etc. Thanks for the info Yorkshireman:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).