• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Custom Rollerball in Trustone

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
This was an entry into the IAP "Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest". It was made from one of the pieces of trustone I won off PeteB last year, in this case the Kingman Turquoise one. I unfortunately didn't take progress pics, but the process couldn't have been easier. Cut the blank into two, drill the barrel to depth with an 8mm drill, drill the cap to depth with a 10mm drill, thread the barrel with a M9x0.75 tap, the cap with a M11x0.75 tap. Then turn between centres. Very GENTLE pressure with a dead centre into the drill hole is required, as is light cutting with a scary sharp chisel (I DO love my Sorby ProEdge!).

The section was made from aluminium, as was the clip. The clip was a LOT of work as I had to file a piece of bar flat then polish it before bending to shape. (And again after, because, well, you know ...)

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

Sad story: A couple days after I made this pen a customer popped around to look at my pens. He grabbed the pen and tried to pull it open, succeeding only in cracking the cap beyond repair ...

:2cry::2cry:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I dont know why people think that all pens are a pull off cap. I hope you charged them

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's a real piece of class work there, you do produce some nice custom pieces.

I'd have strung the bugger up from the nearest lampost.

He wouldn't have made it that far if it was my pen, I would have knocked him sparko where he stood and gone through his pockets while he was lying there.
Stunning work young David them damn Yanks don't got a clue on class.
What idiot wants to damasq fswr I mean cmon that is sheer lunacy init?:nonono::nonono:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice David all that work destroyed I had the same thing happen with a Roman harvest sent it to a guy and he phoned me up saying how do you put it together the bloody idiot had snapped it in half and he wanted his money back get stuffed

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is a cracker of a pen David, I want to be able to do things like that and am practicing with wood but so far am just making tinder. Shame about the breakage, I guess its one of those things that happen in with stupid customers.

Still would have knocked him out....:funny::funny::funny:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That is a cracker of a pen David, I want to be able to do things like that and am practicing with wood but so far am just making tinder.

The problem with the trustone would also happen with wood, Paul - the threads are too soft and tear out too easily. The ideal is to create a brass or aluminium (or ebonite) insert to carry the threads which is epoxied into the barrel and cap. If I'd done that I doubt the cap would have broken ... :down:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The problem with the trustone would also happen with wood, Paul - the threads are too soft and tear out too easily. The ideal is to create a brass or aluminium (or ebonite) insert to carry the threads which is epoxied into the barrel and cap. If I'd done that I doubt the cap would have broken ... :down:

Then I need to practice with some ebonite. thanks David.

Jim

Grand Master
Sad news to the end of this story David, but i hope our recognition of a quality pen can help repair the hurt my friend .. :bwink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I'm not sure whats worse, breaking it yourself or having a customer do it .. :vangry:

Suppose its the customer, they are a pain. Why do we have to have them? Oh yeh I know.. :funny:

Really nice bit of turning there David, and top quality finish.. :love_it:

Last edited:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Lovely Pen David, thought it was yours by the clip, I vaguley remembered a tutorial or some photos you have done describing these....:wink:

Really Stunning. :love_it:
Shame about the ham-fisted customer but we need em....

Got to have a go at Trustone, thats in the bucket.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).