• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Leopard finished Pen

Firefrode

Hi All

I managed to purchase suitably finished piece of acrylic leopard style.
I had never turned acrylic before and was soon to realize it had totally different qualities than Corian.
My friend had requested a Pen and a key ring in the said leopard finish.
Cutting and drilling the acrylic was OK but when I came to turn I noticed it was more brittle.
Whilst turning one of the halves it suddenly exploded and went flying all over oops!!
I was using my new tunsten tipped chisels so perhaps I was getting a bit over excited.
They are for a young lady called Sinia - this translates to a type of Butterfly - hence the silver butterflies on the clip.

Regards

Fred

Attachments

• sinia pen.jpeg
    sinia pen.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Lovely set there Fred its a bit of a shock to the system when that stuff explodes on you init

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice pair Fred.... very nicely done and quite an unusual blank.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good to me Fred, i am sure Sinia will be a very happy lady .. :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Leopard Finished Pen Lion Hearted Turner succeeds in turning, learning it aint over until the large lady sings. Oh the joys of plastic mate.

That pen has a clever design and masterful shaping IMHO the pair together with the sentimental butterflies your explanation makes me certain all is now well and the young lady is in great delight. Well said and done and yes I agree plastic does require another level mof understanding.

Kind regards mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).