• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

On the way to visit a mate

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I was out the other evening finished early so dropped in at a mates place double fortunate for me a mutual friend a timber getter from hours away arrived with burl and cut timber for my mate so lucked in there. The bloke from the bush has an encyclopedia knowledge of timbers second only to professional experts in the field. The local mate turns stuff in Burl large sizes and the burl getter gives some to the farmers out west where he cuts his exceptional burl.

Anyway six houses away I noticed some cut up timber on the verge outside on the way home I collected some it was OLIVE with character the big bits were all gone imagine a town grown Olive Tree with a three foot butt. Pics attached. Incidentally my mate has pics of his top turning he is sending to me at my request I will post on the forum they are magnificent.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 52

naxie

Registered
Good find Peter!

I've being hoping to find some interesting timber lying around with all these winds we have been having over here, but no such luck.

Now if I could make pens out of roof tiles, TV aerials or satellite dishes though, that would be a different story. :funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Lovely stuff Peter, theres a pen or two in that lot and I bet there'll be some very ones two. Bring on the pictures.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Lovely stuff Peter, theres a pen or two in that lot and I bet there'll be some very ones two. Bring on the pictures.

My experiences with found Olive wood is patience when I can I will cut some and put it in the roof to dry it takes time.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).