• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Metal Lathe

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
Just thought I'd show you my metal lathe. Don't have pics of my wood lathe. (Harbor Freight 12x 36)
Clausing MK3a 12x36 c1948 Also have the Steady and Follow Rest (Not Shown)
111a (Medium) (Medium).jpg

111b (Medium).jpg

111c (Medium).jpg

111d (Medium).jpg

111e (Medium).jpg

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
That is a beast that I would love to possess along with all of its toys. Thanks for showing Angelo !!!!:thumbs:

Thats not big this is big

maxresdefault.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
That is a beast that I would love to possess along with all of its toys. Thanks for showing Angelo !!!!:thumbs:

Just what Terry says Angelo, love it, but would love it more if it was in my shed .. :thumbs: Is there anything specific that you make with this lathe Angelo? :thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Thanks for showing Angelo. I love that a lathe which is 65 years old still goes strong. I wonder how many of the lathes produced today will still be functional in 2080?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Thanks for showing Angelo. I love that a lathe which is 65 years old still goes strong. I wonder how many of the lathes produced today will still be functional in 2080?

some don't function the day after they are made these day we have 4 harrison lathe and 4 warco milling machines and they are all shit the lathes are built in china and then assembled in Poland and wacro shake like no tomorrow when you take a large cut with a shell mill but the collage had much better kit before the sold over £750000 worth of kit for £40000 but that a story for another day

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A fine set up Angelo I would love it too, makes my little Chinese thing look silly.
You have plenty of kit to go with it, a few bobs worth and a long while collecting I am sure.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is some lathe Angelo. I would like to have a metal lathe but just a small one to make pen things, I don't know what I'd do with one as big as that and it probably wouldn't fit in my shed anyway. Thanks for showing it.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well, I can see someone watching you... :-)

Excellent lathe there.. Top quality and excellent workshop. Sorry, couldn't resist the watcher...:-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 26

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
I've owned a metal lathe ever since I was old enough to run one.
This one was in a garage in New Jersey untouched since 1955.
I believe that to be true by the condition and the amount of dust and hardened
oil and grease on it. It's in excellent shape with just about no wear.
When I got this one last year I sold the 1938 Clausing I had.
Todays lathes mostly run with plastic gears and rubber band belts.
I think they're crap right out of the box.
I do make all my bushings and whatever tooling I can and
I'm always thinking of ways to reinvent something.
I turned down brake drums for my 1967 Pontiac Firebird. Sold it last year.
I also made a ball/radius turner for it. Next will be a taper attachment.
The WATCHER is not watching me, he's watching out for the lathe

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).