PDA

View Full Version : March's Pen Competition

Jim
02-03-14, 20:24
http://www.penturners.co.uk/misc/images/1/penturners_pen_competition.png

Hi all,

Here are the details for March's Competition which will be a Turners Smock kindly donated by Timberbits... (http://www.timberbits.com/)

4887 4888

See The Blue Smock Here (http://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-blue.html)

See The Green Smock Here (http://www.timberbits.com/timberbits-smock-green.html)

Woody won the last competition and has chosen that this months comp must have some decorative turning in the pen such as beads or coves etc ..

Right folks for this month’s competition, we are asking for a pen made from any kit with the decorative turning beads and coves etc on the wood...

Also, we are now allowing two pens to be entered in this competition...

The contest will stay open until 7pm Sunday 23rd March. Once you have turned this pen please send your picture to me via PM using the attachment link, or by any means that you are comfortable with. No more pictures will be accepted after this date. Once i have all the entries and the shut off date has passed all the entries will be placed in a new thread which will run from the 23rd March to midnight on the 30th March where you can nominate your favourite pen. The picture that gets the most nominations will be the winner, should we have equal votes, then a tie break will come into effect.

The competition is open to any member with 20 posts or more ...

Two entries per member is the maximum, the pens cannot have been shown on this or any other forum before the competition starts, and not to be posted on this or any other forum other than in the contest before it ends. The contest to be anonymous (i.e. PM pictures of your entry to Jim who will post them in the entries thread without naming the creator). The names of each entry will be added to the photo at the end of each Competition...

Any questions, please post them here....

We also have £25 in the competition kitty from Woody donating back his winnings from the January's comp, so for the next two months the runner up will receive a pack of Micro-Mesh Sanding Pads ..

bellringer
02-03-14, 20:27
so dose the pen have to have the bead or the kit

Jim
02-03-14, 20:36
so dose the pen have to have the bead or the kit

Any kit Alex, the wood needs the decorative beads or coves etc .. :thumbs:

bellringer
02-03-14, 20:38
Ok i think i have got that thanks just need to think how to do it

mattyts
02-03-14, 20:45
this one will take some thinking about :thinks::nooidea:

paulm
02-03-14, 21:06
Umm, the thinking cap needs to go on now. Thats very generous of Woody to put his prize back in and Timberbits too. Now off to see the Rev :funny:

Penpal
02-03-14, 21:33
Have fun I have for many years you coves (aussie expression) now have an oportunity to express yourself too many penmakers overthink making them when its dead simple. I will watch this with interest.

Peter.

edlea
02-03-14, 22:19
this one will take some thinking about :thinks::nooidea:

I don't need to think about it ..I just couldn't do one ..good luck to all those that can though .:thumbs:

Woody
02-03-14, 22:57
I don't need to think about it ..I just couldn't do one ..good luck to all those that can though .:thumbs:

So tell me Ed why cant you do one I thought you were made of sterner stuff LOL come on this is a challenge try think of it as a bit of spindle work any part of this pen could do it please Ed just try mate

Jimjam66
03-03-14, 07:28
I've been toying wi an idea for a while now, this might just be my opportunity to actually git 'er done!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Smokey Bacon
03-03-14, 08:06
Beads?:nooidea: Ah yes that kind of beads. When I quickly read the details my wife was threading beads and was wondering how to make a pen from seed beads until I read on and the penny dropped.
I've not reached 20 posts yet but will be very interested to see what everyone produces and might have a go doing one even if I have not made enough posts, though I have made many kinds of posts in my time round ones, square ones, rustic, long un's you name it I've made 'em:lmao:
Good luck to all who enter

Grump
03-03-14, 08:19
I have not made enough posts, though I have made many kinds of posts in my time round ones, square ones, rustic, long un's you name it I've made 'em
What a poor excuse, reply to this and you will have 5 more posts to achieve.
Soon done just talk a load of rubbish for 5 posts.
Woody does it all the time see how easy it is I anm doing it now init?.....:love_it::love_it::love_it::love_it:

paulm
03-03-14, 10:04
Beads?:nooidea: Ah yes that kind of beads. When I quickly read the details my wife was threading beads and was wondering how to make a pen from seed beads until I read on and the penny dropped.
I've not reached 20 posts yet but will be very interested to see what everyone produces and might have a go doing one even if I have not made enough posts, though I have made many kinds of posts in my time round ones, square ones, rustic, long un's you name it I've made 'em:lmao:

Surely you will post more than 5 times between now and the competition end day won't you (answer to this and theres one for you)? Stop making excuses and get on with it :funny:

Smokey Bacon
03-03-14, 12:22
Surely you will post more than 5 times between now and the competition end day won't you (answer to this and theres one for you)? Stop making excuses and get on with it :funny:
Yeah I will, but won't get any turning done then will I?
So far today I have made it as far as my shed twice, turned on the heater and lights on and thats it:rolling:
Then other things crop up one day I will get in there and do something more than look at the mess, er I mean, everything waiting to be done under the cobwebs.:down:

Terry
03-03-14, 12:28
So far today I have made it as far as my shed twice, turned on the heater and lights on and thats it:rolling:
Then other things crop up one day I will get in there and do something more than look at the mess, er I mean, everything waiting to be done under the cobwebs.:down:

Turn the heater on???? You wuzz !!!!!! LOL:mooney2:

paulm
03-03-14, 13:32

I'm only hearing excuses :funny:

Woody
03-03-14, 14:29
Now all of you who are saying stop making excesses we will expect to see some pens from you now and no excesses fell into that one didnt you LOL :funny::funny::funny:

paulm
03-03-14, 14:32
Now all of you who are saying stop making excesses we will expect to see some pens from you now and no excesses fell into that one didnt you LOL :funny::funny::funny:

Yeah, you can lead a horse to water but a pencil is always lead.

Woody
03-03-14, 14:35
Yeah, you can lead a horse to water but a pencil is always lead.

Then you can have a pen and ink

Jim
03-03-14, 19:01

If i am honest Ed, i would be in the same boat, i have made many pens but never have i put a bead or cove on one, but please do give it a go my friend and if you run out of blanks just drop me a PM and i will send you some over for sure .. :ciggrin:

edlea
03-03-14, 19:38
If i am honest Ed, i would be in the same boat, i have made many pens but never have i put a bead or cove on one, but please do give it a go my friend and if you run out of blanks just drop me a PM and i will send you some over for sure .. :ciggrin:

Honestly Jim I have no idea what a cove or a bead is let alone which tool I should use (providing I have a tool to do it with).

Wouldn't know where to start, so it looks like I'm searching You Tube for information instruction and inspiration.:nooidea:

bellringer
03-03-14, 19:40
Honestly Jim I have no idea what a cove or a bead is let alone which tool I should use (providing I have a tool to do it with).

Wouldn't know where to start, so it looks like I'm searching You Tube for information instruction and inspiration.:nooidea:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cove+and+beads&rlz=1C1SFXN_enGB533GB533&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g9oUU723JJCRhQekyoCgDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

edlea
03-03-14, 19:56
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cove+and+beads&rlz=1C1SFXN_enGB533GB533&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g9oUU723JJCRhQekyoCgDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

Thanks Alex just checked it out..somehow( if it ever sees daylight.) I don't think anyone need fear my entry.:funny:

bellringer
03-03-14, 19:58
I have a plan for my entry it did not take as long as i you think if you put your mind to it

Paleo
03-03-14, 20:38
I'm a working on a winner ,watch out here i come when i finish it :roflmao::roflmao:

Jim
03-03-14, 20:49

Ed, take a look at Woody's Images (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/3814-marchs-pen-competition.html#post51517) that he put up in this thread. All the beads and coves you need to learn can be seen on the items he has made in those images .. :bwink:

Woody
03-03-14, 20:58
All thats needed for any of these shapes is a spindle gouge and maybe a parting tool no matter what you do it will advance your skills I will be making a few pens of with different simple shapes and showing them to give some ideas to those of you that have never done anything like this before

edlea
03-03-14, 21:44
Ed, take a look at Woody's Images (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/3814-marchs-pen-competition.html#post51517) that he put up in this thread. All the beads and coves you need to learn can be seen on the items he has made in those images .. :bwink:

OK guys you've convinced me that I can make a winner here. Just one small problem, I go into hospital for surgery next week and apparently it can take up to three weeks to come back round to the land of the living again, so will have to see how I cope with it all.

bellringer
03-03-14, 21:46
Well you have a week

Grump
03-03-14, 21:49
So let me get this straight in my mind init?
This is beads.

And this is cove.

And you want me to put them in a pen like this.

Far too testicle for me dad

edlea
03-03-14, 21:56
Well you have a week

Alex having to go in for an operation in a weeks time tends to focus your mind away from pen making in general, never mind learning a new skill ! If it happens, with coves and beads, it will be later in the month rather than sooner.:thumbs:

Woody
03-03-14, 22:03
Alex having to go in for an operation in a weeks time tends to focus your mind away from pen making in general, never mind learning a new skill ! If it happens, with coves and beads, it will be later in the month rather than sooner.:thumbs:

Sorry Ed you obviously have more on you mind than a pen compo I wish you all the best my friend and hope all goes well for you and you have a seedy recovery :pray::pray:

Smokey Bacon
03-03-14, 22:09
Yes, my thoughts exactly:funny:how do we keep the water from running away?

Grump
03-03-14, 22:12
Good luck Ed, as Woody says wishing you a seedy recovery init?
And a quick one too.

Jim
03-03-14, 22:15

Just let me know what hospital you are going to be in Ed, and i will wheel in a lathe for you my friend .. :bwink:

I hope those seeds are well planted too .. :whistling:

Kardav
04-03-14, 06:58
OK guys you've convinced me that I can make a winner here. Just one small problem, I go into hospital for surgery next week and apparently it can take up to three weeks to come back round to the land of the living again, so will have to see how I cope with it all.

Wishing you well with the operation and a speedy recovery Ed.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jimjam66
04-03-14, 07:45
Hope all goes well Ed, and that you have the seedy recovery Woody is on about. I'm assuming its a Northern thing ... If it involves a visit to Blackpool after dark just don't tear your stitches okay?

:funny::funny::funny:

paulm
04-03-14, 09:28
Wishing you all the best Ed!

Penpal
04-03-14, 18:56
Trust the Docs skills and advice mate and breathe easier after the op, Wilma came through yesterday from surgery very well but sore, she only had to wait a week but your wait has been a while so it seems like forever I guess. Have success mate enjoy the quiet time.

Kind regards Peter.

edlea
04-03-14, 19:14
Thanks chaps ...I wish I was the other side of next Wednesday...Mrs Ed has booked us a holiday to the Italian Lakes as a get well present , so that's something to look forward to nd to take my mind off things.

Terry
04-03-14, 19:17
Thanks chaps ...I wish I was the other side of next Wednesday...Mrs Ed has booked us a holiday to the Italian Lakes as a get well present , so that's something to look forward to nd to take my mind off things.

Good luck Ed and I hope you have a great holiday !!!!!

stevenw1963
05-03-14, 00:22
hope all goes well Ed.
Mind & let all the other ol' fogies on here know how you get on otherwise they'll be mithering the rest of us :funny::funny:

paulm
05-03-14, 09:10

Thats good, a nice relaxing holiday will get you hungry for the lathe :funny: Its a long time waiting, thinking about next week which is probably/hopefully the worst bit you'll have to endure and then its all good thoughts for your holiday. When are you going?

edlea
05-03-14, 09:58
Thats good, a nice relaxing holiday will get you hungry for the lathe :funny: Its a long time waiting, thinking about next week which is probably/hopefully the worst bit you'll have to endure and then its all good thoughts for your holiday. When are you going?

It's a while off yet Paul (June) but thinking of having a break with friends who live down in Chard before then.

paulm
05-03-14, 10:55
It's a while off yet Paul (June) but thinking of having a break with friends who live down in Chard before then.

Ah Chard. Thats not too far from Axminster or Martock (Yandles) Ed. They have an open day in the beginning of April which is well worth a visit but beware, you'll spend loadsamoney. If you're comming down the M5 and fancy a cuppa I'm only 10mins from J21 M5.

bellringer
05-03-14, 14:32
We are aloud two entrys this month are we not

Woody
05-03-14, 14:37

That's right Alex so make them count

Grump
05-03-14, 15:41

What you gonna do shout em in?

Jim
14-03-14, 18:22
Don't forget to get those pens made this weekend guys .. The time will be before you know it .. :bwink:

bellringer
14-03-14, 18:25
I really need to get on with my entry's

Penpal
14-03-14, 20:04
Excited to see the entries lots of talk so far excellent prize.

Peter.:thumbs:

Woody
14-03-14, 20:08
Don't forget to get those pens made this weekend guys .. The time will be before you know it .. :bwink:

Have you had any entry's yet Jim

paulm
14-03-14, 20:22
I'm still practising so mine won't be in till the 11th hour

Jim
14-03-14, 22:11
Have you had any entry's yet Jim

Certainly have Woody, but not enough to get excited about just yet .. :whistling:

Woody
14-03-14, 22:24
Certainly have Woody, but not enough to get excited about just yet .. :whistling:

Thats good Jim lets hope it takes of soon

Jim
21-03-14, 18:30
Don't forget folks, this is the last weekend for you to enter the comp .. :thumbs:

Jim
23-03-14, 11:37
Guys, for your chance of winning one of the Timberbits Smock you have until 7pm tonight to put in your entry ... :thumbs:

Jim
23-03-14, 21:45
Nominations are now open for this competition See Here (http://www.penturners.co.uk/penturners-competition-forum/4116-nominations-marchs-2014-competition.html) .. Thanks to everyone involved .. :thumbs: