• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

So here's my attempt.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
After seeing Woody's I am in awe...

Been bashing this one out over the last couple of days, finished today and I am quite pleased.
Used Woody's Tool on this, which is nicknamed as the 'REV' its brilliant.
Sits nicely at 5ins wide x nearly 3ins tall.

Little bit of easy segmenting, three layers, Oak, Mahogany Oak.
Inlaid brass powder /CA along the glue lines on the outside. Didn't have to but thought it might look good.
Finished with sanding sealer followed by Fiction Polish.

Thoughts? :thinks:

Attachments

• segbrassbowl1.jpg
    segbrassbowl1.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 71
  • segbrassbowl3.jpg
    segbrassbowl3.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 72
  • segbrassbowl2.jpg
    segbrassbowl2.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 72

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wow Rowdy your the man that is brilliant mate bloody well done turned well and with a good finish

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That looks really cool Rowdy ....definite thumbs up for that one innit !:thumbs:

Matt

Registered
That looks really really good :thumbs: you should be proud of that! Have no idea about the whole brass inlay thing but it sure does look good :ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Just a thought Rowdy my first attempts at bowl turning all them years ago were with bits of wood stuck together mainly pine boards and mahogany 3"x 2"

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Had to do it this way as I have no wood thats of any size for bowl turning. And I bloody enjoyed going through all the stages to make it. :thumbs:
Will be shopping for some on Flea-bay, seen some good bits on there.

Now it's Fishing Club Social Night..... YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... HIC.....:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks everyone for your brilliant comments :kiss:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Rowdy,

Thats brilliant. The woods compliment each other, I think that some segmented work looks like someones emptied the glue pot in the offcuts bag and it produces an ill conceived mismatch of colours and grain, but this stylish and the inlay between the woods subtly accentuates the different woods. You should be rightly chuffed with that one. Thanks for the inspiration on that one, never done any segmenting work but just bought a pot of cascamite to give it a go.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
tis a cracker that one Rowdy.

If you're looking for bowl blanks then visit home of wood on t'internet. They do various size bags of blanks and usually tis good stuff too. If you only want certain sizes then e-mail Paul, he's quite accommodating.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have come back again for another look.
I have to echo all the well deserved comments, Rowdy thatt really is a well balanced stunner mate.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).