• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Asda price!

neiloboe

Apprentice Member
No idea if this stuff is gonna be any good yet, but at a quid for 18g of CA I thought it was worth a try. Found it in the £1 bargain shelf at Asda

image.jpg

neiloboe

Apprentice Member
I was quite liking that I could open a fresh one every time. 1.5g per vial. Planning on using it to practice CA finishing. Still haven't managed to pick up a chuck or mandrel to go on the lathe yet, so I'm just turning bits of scrap wood between centres so I can practice my finishing techniques. I think the wife may be getting sick of being presented with key rings on a regular basis now though...might have to do something about the chuck and mandrel soon!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
It might be cheaper your way Alex, but the added value makes it worth getting it from Asda, you see its all about subliminal advertising. Every time we think of Asda we think of the smart price, the lady smacking her back pocket. And the bottom line is that she's got a nicer arse than you Alex, so its Asda every time!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Marketing aside I look for the CA that glides on causes the least problems the overall cost also influenced by the keeping quality as well. The label migrated on the one that I settled on it is the very best one for me I have ever used, guess what I am trying to say is as it is my hobby I chose this way to travel. On the other hand so many forum members are turning away from CA. Noticing some glue their blanks using this material astounds me.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I have some and it's very thin stuff. I can't get a finish with it but it's very usefull when the wood is cracked or crumbly or to use as crack filler when sanding. I also used it to flood some burr elm to stabilise it which seems to have worked though the colour darkened. Be careful with it however as the tops seem to leak once opened.

Keep an eye on ASDA though 'cos they had bottles of medium CA at a £1 each which sold out very quickly. I managed to get hold of 6 and it gives excellent results for me. I've no doubt it will come back in at some stage. Same £1 bargain display area.

Bob

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).