• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

arty farty box

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
This is a box I made from spalted birch that was destined for the firewood pile, Hand cut the finial from Walnut, and turned a small purple heart bead then offset it on the lid.

Attachments

• IMG_20140307_212744.jpg
    IMG_20140307_212744.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 57

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hay Brody that is so cool mate love the idea well done for stepping outside the box

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Thanks chaps, much appreciated. It was inspired by the legend that is Mark Sanger. A homage if you will :)

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
So you're the Wabi Sabi Mark Sangar appreciation society Chairman? Got to be honest I dont like form for the sake of form with no function as the basis, and as such the purple dropping is a hindrance to what is otherwise a well proportioned and stylish box. You will probably have gathered that I don't like Mark Sangars balls! Sorry to throw in a bit of negative but regardless it is a nicely conceived and executed item.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
So you're the Wabi Sabi Mark Sangar appreciation society Chairman? Got to be honest I dont like form for the sake of form with no function as the basis, and as such the purple dropping is a hindrance to what is otherwise a well proportioned and stylish box. You will probably have gathered that I don't like Mark Sangars balls! Sorry to throw in a bit of negative but regardless it is a nicely conceived and executed item.
cheers mate. Aint nothing wrong with being honest.

Jim

Grand Master
I like it Brody, good to see that you can put something extra into a box.. Very nice indeed .. :winking:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I've looked at this a few times Brody & like the shape & general design but for me the choice of timber lets the box down.

Forming that many good quality beads on any stable piece of timber is hard enough, but on as spalted a timber as that is going to be nigh on impossible. It looks like there is quite a lot of tear out between the beads but the tops of the beads look flat with no sign of tear out & suggests you sanded them away.
Whilst Mark's work isn't to everyone's taste it does usually have simple flowing lines, personally I think you would have been better without the beads, much like his early work with the chilli pepper finials, this would have allowed the beauty of the spalting to show through

I always try to be positive about folks work & thank you for sharing your box with us, I hope you take what I've written in a constructive way as this is how it meant, most of all enjoy your turning.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I've looked at this a few times Brody & like the shape & general design but for me the choice of timber lets the box down.

Forming that many good quality beads on any stable piece of timber is hard enough, but on as spalted a timber as that is going to be nigh on impossible. It looks like there is quite a lot of tear out between the beads but the tops of the beads look flat with no sign of tear out & suggests you sanded them away.
Whilst Mark's work isn't to everyone's taste it does usually have simple flowing lines, personally I think you would have been better without the beads, much like his early work with the chilli pepper finials, this would have allowed the beauty of the spalting to show through

I always try to be positive about folks work & thank you for sharing your box with us, I hope you take what I've written in a constructive way as this is how it meant, most of all enjoy your turning.
cheers Doug.
I kno what you're saying about the beads and timber choice, but it was never meant to look too over turned, and I wanted it to look as though it had been kicked around the workshop. It was just the idea I had at the time. I thank you for your comments sir. Happy turning

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Yep, I agree with all the previous comments.. As you see its beauty is in the eye of the beholder..:thumbs:

Well done for having a go and sharing with us all on here Brody..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brody well its yours to distress and you succeeded at this point in time it succeeds with me having prior knowledge I would suggest in use the top would last about 5 minutes but its cheeky and can always sit on a high shelf away from the kids. As a turning exercise great mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).