• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The Sun came out.....

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
....briefly today, so I thought a piece of Olive wood wood be appropriate to turn.

DSCN0563_640x480.jpg
DSCN0568_640x480.jpg
DSCN0570_640x480.jpg
'tis only a small bowl (145mm D.), but quite nice, all the same.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wow Neil I love it that is a beauty bloody well done an amazing bit of wood turned and finished to perfection

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That 's some piece of Olive Neil.....bloody gorgeous ..a stunning piece . :claps:

Jim

Grand Master
Absolute stunner Neil, the grain in that Olive is super my friend .. Very nice finish and shape .. :wink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
An old mate of mine from Wales used to say Summer came on a Thursday last year glad the sun was around although briefly we are enjoying the cooler Autumn here around 28C and cooler nights.

Any day is beaut to find a nice small Olive bowl like that especially the grain and features is it dry? How will you finish it?

Appreciate your showing mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi all.
Thanks for the comments.
I really enjoyed this one, turned for the hell of it.
Olive is a "mare" to season, and I've had to cut a lot of it into convenient 1" x 1" pieces to finish drying!
No idea what to use these pieces for, but I'm sure I will think of something.:funny::funny::funny:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
An old mate of mine from Wales used to say Summer came on a Thursday last year glad the sun was around although briefly we are enjoying the cooler Autumn here around 28C and cooler nights.

Any day is beaut to find a nice small Olive bowl like that especially the grain and features is it dry? How will you finish it?

Appreciate your showing mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

Hi Peter.
The bowl has already had 2 coats of food safe oil. It will get another couple of coats over the next few days.
The EMC. of this is about 16% so it should be fine drying with minimum movement, over the next few days.
Regards,
Neil

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Second posting from me re this topic - one's not enough! This has got to be one of the most lovely bowls I can recall seeing. I can't stop going back to it!

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Neil, that is one of the nicest bowls I've seen, the wood is absolutely superb and you've made it into a wonderful bowl. I like it a lot.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).