• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

metal lathes

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Hi All

Has any on here used a metal lathe in pen turning

and if so what for

and what lathe

Jim

Grand Master
I haven't, but i have seen a few used on Youtube, one i liked was how he turned all his Acrylic blanks .. :thumbs:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have a Steelmaster 9 X 20 Variable Speed metal lathe, it is re-badge and painted for what ever company buys them, The Seppo's call it the 9 X 19. Grizzly is one of their sellers.
I only turn metal on mine, I don't want all that fine wood/acrylic dust mixing with the oil and clogging it up.

Hindsight I should have bought a bigger lathe, 20 mm spindle bore is too small for me.

I make pens out of aluminium, brass,copper, rio, s/steel, parts for pens.

Will find pic later and post.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
the reson for asking this question was because as i am an enginerring student i could se the benfits of been able to make and adapt kit.
now all i need to do is convince my parrets that it a good idea as you can pick a good second hand colchester of harrison lathes for a resanble price :thinks:

trapper

Registered
Hi all yep i use a metal working lathe for some of my pens see the franchini308 and the aluminium desk pen pics ive posted. I also use it to make my own sections caps centre bands etcMine is a Clarke metalworker mini lathe (from machine mart) its simply a branded sieg lathe as are many of the lathes of this size. You need to invest a lot in tooling to make this worthwhile mind you like me you can make your own tools etc. I'm currently considering converting it to cnc using mach3 software to enable me to duplicate parts

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well it take time but my dad thinks it a ok idea and the big but is the garage floor might have to be relayed but getting hold of the lathe is the easy bit

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Sorry BR, it wasn't my (or Jim's) intention to put you off. I'd give my eye teeth for that sort of toy but its priced out of my league. Post some pics when you get yours so I can drool over it ...

Jim

Grand Master
I have a Steelmaster 9 X 20 Variable Speed metal lathe, it is re-badge and painted for what ever company buys them, The Seppo's call it the 9 X 19. Grizzly is one of their sellers.
I only turn metal on mine, I don't want all that fine wood/acrylic dust mixing with the oil and clogging it up.

Hindsight I should have bought a bigger lathe, 20 mm spindle bore is too small for me.

I make pens out of aluminium, brass,copper, rio, s/steel, parts for pens.

Will find pic later and post.

What's the next size up from the 20mm Mark? Look forward to seeing those pictures. :thumbs:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Without sounding ignorant, i wouldnt have thought 1mm would make much differance? :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
Sorry BR, it wasn't my (or Jim's) intention to put you off. I'd give my eye teeth for that sort of toy but its priced out of my league. Post some pics when you get yours so I can drool over it ...

Bang on David, it was the price i was aghast with, well out of range for my pocket money allowance ... :goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).