• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Made from a split Yew log

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Paul was kind enough to send me a box of wood and among it was this yew log with a split and I hate throwing wood away so I turned a bowl and stitched it up with some leather boot lace on hind sight I should have used something a bit thinner also this type of thing looks better on larger bowls I hope this will give some of you some ideas I have done it in the past with brass staples on darker wood and that works well
DSCF2272.JPGDSCF2274.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats a nice bowl Woody, I'm glad you could made something of the wood. I've got several other split yew logs if you want them, they were to become firewood.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I like it Woody, I see what you mean about the size of the lace but it could always be changed :thumbs::thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That'll be fine dad, take the criss cross out and just strap it across.
If you don't like it then throw it away at the meet, someone will grab it init?

Paul

Fellow
Thanks for sharing.

I'd imagine your wife is getting a bit peeved at not being able to do up random shoes now though. :wink:

Jim

Grand Master
You did well with the bowl Woody, you may be right with the lace being a tad big but it does give us some light on how this is done, so a big thanks for sharing it with us my friend .. :bwink:

naxie

Registered
A lovely bit of turning, as usual Woody, a beautiful piece of wood has emerged from a bit of fire wood. :thumbs:

Turned scarily thin for such a split peice of timber and an amazing finish.

They are moaning about the size of shoelace? :nooidea: :devil:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you all for your comments I may look out for some thinner string or something or just stick it in the charity box the main thing is I enjoyed doing it and it may give someone an idea of what to do with bowls that splits

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).