• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

CA Glue makes my nose run

Jed Baxter

Registered
I may have to stop using CA as my nose runs and blocks within hours of using it. What other alternative is there to use for pen making?

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
For what purpose of process matey?

Glueing together or Finishing?

Jed Baxter

Registered
Everything mate, as it looks like my body has an antipathy CA :down:

Thou mainly it is the glueing together as i hardly us it for finishing.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I use polyeurothane Jed. OK you have to wait a few hours for it to cure but it has great gap filling properties and I've not had a failure with it yet

keith

Jim

Grand Master
What Keith says .. :ciggrin:

I had something similar to your symptoms Jed, so now when using CA for finishing i always where a face mask, if i am only gluing up a few pens i don't bother, if have quite a number to glue up i again place on the face mask ... :bwink:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
Gorilla glue would the brand you could prob get local of Polyurethane .... You could always just use Friction polish or cyrstal kote?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Jed, i am lead to believe that this is common when using CA, it is like having a common cold effect. :down:

Jed Baxter

Registered
Thanks for the advice boys, epoxy may be the one i choose, but i will also get my self some cheap nose bags see if that does the trick, as i really like how the CA does the job. :thumbs:

trapper

Registered
Yikes Jed I just tried ca to seal a polymer blank for final machining......... it was like having chopped some chilli and rubbing your eyes...... whilst it worked i think I'll try epoxy brush fluid its expensive (£20.00 for 125 ml but needs very little) for my purposes as i'm not using it as a final finish

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I must be one of the lucky ones? I have no issues with CA right now, but i don't do much finishing with the glue. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).