• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New Bandsaw

johnny5

Registered
Decided to upgrade my little Silverline table top bandsaw that has served me well for pen blanks.
Got home from work tonight too see my garage full with my new AWHBS350N bandsaw from Axminster.
It is massive and heavy.
I tried to move the box that came on a pallet and decided to have a beer instead and get someone to help me tomorrow.
Has anyone assembled one of these on their own, I understand the table is separate and probably weighs quite a bit on its own.
How heavy is the motor and saw on its own and could you manage to lift it on your own,
I am not a weakling but I recently had major bowel surgery and have been told not to lift heavy objects, just deciding whether to have a go myself tomorrow if my regular helper is indisposed.
Help and advise please if anyone has attempted and managed on their own.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Get help Johnny, much easier and safer as well.

If you drop the motor or bed you won't be a happy bunny at all.

Nice bandsaw by the way..

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Definitely get help Johnny!
I would suspect the motor is already fitted, but the table will be separate.
The table will be very heavy and, by design, the fixing bracket is well to one side, so you can't just plonk it on, and screw it down.
I managed to fit the table on my Record BS400 on my own, but only just!
Trying to hold a table that heavy whilst trying to line up the fixing holes is not something I would recommend, or try to repeat on my own.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I just hope my buddy can help me. It is very heavy .
£80 off rrp at the moment and looks a good saw for the price and what i need it for.,

i thought that when i got my record but i have grown out of it already

johnny5

Registered
i thought that when i got my record but i have grown out of it already

I know, This wood-turning game is so addictive, Started off with an axminster AWSL, now have a record CL3 , Upgraded my bandsaw from a silverline to a floor standing BS350 from Axminster and gone from a piece of sandpaper to a high wattaged draper table sander, chisels upgraded to sorby from clarkes and the list goes on and on , but i love it :thumbs::thumbs:
Moving house soon and priority is a Man cave with a solid floor to take all this weight !!!!!!!!!!!!.
Just had a phone call My buddy who loves fixing things and playing with machines will come Thursday to take over ,i mean help me :wink:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Johnny,

I got the exact same bandsaw last year.
Carried (dragged) it myself up the drive up to the shed, Unpacked and built it myself.
Get some help.
It was heavy and unwieldy. Build the underneath cabinet whilst you're waiting for help, very fiddly.
You then have to lift the bandsaw onto it (the motor is already attached).
Then put the table on, blooming heavy & fiddly.
If you've had surgery you def. need help, DON'T do it yourself.

One thing I would say is get in touch with tuff saws and get a decent blade, use the ones you got with it to practise on, I bent the 3 I got being too ambitious so ou will need it.

It's a cracking bandsaw & you'll enjoy it.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Johnny,

Carried (dragged) it myself up the drive up to the shed, Unpacked and built it myself.
Get some help.
It was heavy and unwieldy. Build the underneath cabinet whilst you're waiting for help, very fiddly.

One thing I would say is get in touch with tuff saws and get a decent blade, use the ones you got with it to practise on, I bent the 3 I got being too ambitious so ou will need it.

Sound advice there.:thumbs:

johnny5

Registered
Johnny,

Get some help.

Thanks for the advice everyone, Steven what size Tuff saw blade do you recommend

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I assembled my BS300E by myself - built the stand then laid it on it's side to attach the BS to it. Then tilted the whole thing upright. Then spent a week with hot pads on my lower back ... Next time I'll get help! Tuffsaws do a SabreCut blade which is excellent, what thickness you buy is really dependent on what you'll do with it. 1/2" to 5/8" is a good general purpose blade.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I bought an AP4300T a couple of years ago & after manhandling that into the shop on my own I decided it would have been a good idea to have got some help:rolling:

I'd also go along with David's recommendation of a sabre cut bandsaw blade, I've been very impressed with the one I'm using.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks good Johnny, can't wait to see you next buy my friend .. Well, it is addictive and there is no way that you have enough machines to fill your new man cave when you move .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
There you go, as much advice as you could possibly deal with. Another great success for the Penturners Forum, keeping Johnny out of hospital.

Johnny, do you ever come over the bridge? I've got plenty of wood if you need any to cut some up on your new saw?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I bought and highly value my hydrolic engine lifter folds up and sits on a two wheeled trolley when not in use looks like you will be on the move again soon this type of thing could be your friend as well long term.

Peter.

johnny5

Registered
Johnny,

Get some help.
It was heavy and unwieldy. Build the underneath cabinet whilst you're waiting for help, very fiddly

Managed to assemble the base, no instructions of any worth but managed to work it out without much foul language.
Will be putting the saw together tomorrow with help. Amboyna and Turkish Walnut blanks waiting to be cut
I do occasionally go over the bridge and am looking for some ancient Blackthorn blanks that were grown in Avalon ( Glastonbury)
It used to to a welsh town once upon a time called Ynys Witrin where Gwyn ap Nudd lives , be very wary of that man my friends. :bwink:
Thanks to everyone for the good advice about not constructing it on my own. I probably would have ended back in Hospital.
john

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).