• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe tools shelf

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made this up today as somewhere to put my tools when changing from one tool to another I got fed up with them keep falling of the lathe bed bars it is hinged so it can be dropper down out of the way when doing other things also when it get loaded up with shavings just drop it down to clear them off and sweep up
DSCF2284.JPGDSCF2286.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF2284.jpg
    DSCF2284.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 72

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Nice one Woody, damned handy having a flat surface near the lathe, that should serve you well :thumbs::thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That IS the cleanest workshop in town for sure. I started cleaning mine up and its going to take a few more sessions yet. An excellent idea with the tool shelf woody. :thumbs:

mattyts

Registered
Great work Woody! One thing,what's it like having tools above the lathe? I've seen a lot of people do it but never fancied having one fall off and hit a rotating work piece...

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I dropped a pointy one once and it went through my shoe and toe pinning me to the floor and splitting my toe like a lizard tongue.
Not a pleasant experience and one I would not recommend treat tools with respect.
I wouldn't mind but I had just finished honing it to scary shiny sharp init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Great work Woody! One thing,what's it like having tools above the lathe? I've seen a lot of people do it but never fancied having one fall off and hit a rotating work piece...

Hi Matt I have always had my tools hanging on the wall behind the lathe with Terry clips and I have never had any problems nor accidents but I am very careful the only tools hanging close to the headstock are for spindle work all my bowl tools normally hang on the wall past the tailstock so when turning bowls I don't have to reach over any spinning objects

Mind I was warned once about the dangers of wearing a pocket watch with a chain hanging as I reached over the lathe so I would warn dont get complacent if you do it all I can say is it works for me

mattyts

Registered
Hi Matt I have always had my tools hanging on the wall behind the lathe with Terry clips and I have never had any problems nor accidents but I am very careful the only tools hanging close to the headstock are for spindle work all my bowl tools normally hang on the wall past the tailstock so when turning bowls I don't have to reach over any spinning objects

Mind I was warned once about the dangers of wearing a pocket watch with a chain hanging as I reached over the lathe so I would warn dont get complacent if you do it all I can say is it works for me

I have mine on a 2ft piece of board,about 6 inch tall to the left of my lathe with the tool clips...works well but had to add another clip for the new tool :ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you guys so pleased the idea appeals to some of you I hope it is a big help as well

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).