• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Looking For Advice On bandsaws

cowboy

Registered
Hi all
looking for advice on bandsaws l know you get what you pay for so l am looking for some thing 6" to may be 10" deep cut or have you or do you know of any one selling one budget £100 to £150 l know l could be dreaming but any advice will do
:nooidea::nooidea:

cheers

cowboy

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Some of the places sell stuff cheaper at shows. Yandles certainly do and they've got a show in a few weeks time. Its also an excellent day out if you're close enough.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think with that budget you're looking at a restore job, search ebay and the like for unfinished project or spares / repair.

cowboy

Registered
anybody know any thing about a RECORD POWER RSB510 Bandsaw l know the name Record is a good name and its on ebay as any one got one?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
anybody know any thing about a RECORD POWER RSB510 Bandsaw l know the name Record is a good name and its on ebay as any one got one?

I have an RSBS8 but beware, the 8 is centimetres not inches! Not sure about the RSBS10 though. I've given this advice before but here we go- if you buy a small tabletop bandsaw it might just be awful enough to put you off bandsaws for life. (Poor motor, flimsy blades wandering in the cut etc etc). Unless you are desparate save up a bit more and go for something like the Axminster 250 or the Record 250 models. They will serve you well and become one of your most used workshop tools - I guarantee it!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have an RSBS8 but beware, the 8 is centimetres not inches! Not sure about the RSBS10 though. I've given this advice before but here we go- if you buy a small tabletop bandsaw it might just be awful enough to put you off bandsaws for life. (Poor motor, flimsy blades wandering in the cut etc etc). Unless you are desparate save up a bit more and go for something like the Axminster 250 or the Record 250 models. They will serve you well and become one of your most used workshop tools - I guarantee it!

My experience as well.

Peter.

naxie

Registered

I just restored a RSBS10, its an awesome little saw. Its the pre runner for the BS250 but built to a better standard. The bits are mostly universal. The Axi ?? 250 is based on it aswell but out of the three go for the RSBS10.

I'll post a pic and stuff later but I'm running late, didn't want you to miss out on a good buy though Graham if the auction finishes today!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I am not a bandsaw freak as most here are, I had for years a little benchtop perform bright yellow thing which served me so well for it's capabilities.
The only reason I got another was because I was nagged on another forum that what I had was no good, it's cheap nasty won't do what I want of it, it did.
So under peer pressure bertie bandsaw went to the ebay sales room and left me with tear in eye.
Along comes Allan Axminster on his own base, standing tall and proud and so big I have nowhere to put the beast, certainly that I can manoeuvre planks around it.
So having moved most of my shed to the garden and realising I now need another shed to put it all in. I now have an ugly beast of a machine in my possesion.
Proudly I go on forum, look what I just bought I am so pleased I got this model as it is huge and I have a new storage shed to make way for the beast in workshop.
You'll not be happy with that they all say, that's only the baby of the family, when you want to cut something of substance you'll need one of these init?
What you should have got is the BMF version (Big Mother Fu****) It don't work as a bandsaw unless the ground shakes and the power station goes to red alert, thats when you know you have a bandsaw.

Moral of the story: Don't be misled by the wannabe tree turners, look at what you want to do, take your capabilities into consideration, think about what room you have, consider your neighbours.
Then think about budget and availability. Some people will have you renting an industrial unit to house the stuff you must have.

Get real for alberts sake init. are you a lumberjack or a penturner I would still be happy with bertie benchtop if I hadn't bowed to pressure from people who know nothing about me and what I do.
Nothing wrong with Handsaw which I still use rather than switch on the power hungry thing I have to still manoeuvre into position if I want to use it.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I would still be happy with bertie benchtop if I hadn't bowed to pressure from people who know nothing about me and what I do.

If nothing else we've learnt you like to name your bandsaws Brian, :funny:

Though I do agree with the sentiment of your post, having once bought a Wadkin BZB that turned out to be too big to fit in my workshop, as I'd begun to believe with bandsaws biggest was best:nooidea::nooidea:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Well, I used a Fox benchtop bandsaw for quite some time before buying something bigger.
At the time I didn't need to cut up tree trunks so the Fox was ideal.
Nowt wrong with it, just like Brians Bertie, it did the job I was wanting doing at the time.
All that is shiny aint gold as they say, so decide what you need it for and then purchase accordingly.

Ralphsputin

6 to 10in, a biggie - will you really need to cut stuff that thick often? I have a Record BS250 10in Bandsaw that came with legs but it only cuts a max of 4in. TBH I haven't had that much requirement to do many cuts deeper than that and If I do, I resort to good old fashioned muscle power. You'd get one of these for that price, I suspect that the 6 and 10in cut versions would be more expensive but you never know, someone might be in a hurry to make space.

Cheers!

Ralph

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have only recently had bit that will not fit under the giudes on my so these bit get either a chainsaw or a 2.5kg spliting wedge

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I bought a Draper when I started turning about 18 months ago at Yandles. Its only a smallish one and was my pride and joy. It cost me £120 and they threw in a bunch of blades. Since then I have been able to cut down my own trees so bought a bigger one that is outside my working area in the shed but is only turned on for big stuff. The Draper still sits on my workbench and I use it a lot, infact I've just cut up about 200 blanks with it this morning. Its not a precision instrument by any means and I understood that when I bought it, but it does exactly what I want from it. If I was to buy another smaller machine, which I will do when this one goes bang, it will be a record as I think their build quality is better for not a lot more money.

Jim

Grand Master
Good luck with this Cowboy, like David says, you will be using this machine quite often so buy the best you can afford .. :thumbs:

naxie

Registered
IMG_2014031430316.jpg

There she is, not thought of a name yet, any thoughts Brian, maybe "Little Blue"? :thinks:

Basically cost next to nothing, it had been setup badly and barely used, probably because of the poor setup. The bearings, or what was left of them have been replaced with the best quality my local bearing place could get at a cost of around £20.

A bit of a clean and wax, a new table, about £30, If I remember, certainly no more and a decent blade and she was good to go. A great saw, really accurate and will cut things you would think it wouldn't have a chance with with ease.

Not sure if it came with a stand, mine didn't but I have put it on a metal box with a little hover in it for extraction and some wheels on the bottom. It would be quite happy on a bench top and although quite heavy is liftable to store under a bench when not needed.

To sum it up a great little saw if you can get one at the right price Graham. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I noticed with interest folks poo pooed the little three wheelers well after going to great lengths making devices one time for cutting cartridges, pen brasses etc I stumbled for dirt cheap on a small saw fitted with a fine toothed metal blade and Eureka the best way to cut brass as well made a great addition to my 18 inch 3 hp and 14 inch 30 yr old with another two larger 3 wheelers all for different tasks. They require the set up care needed then presto great cheap handy addition in my workshop.

Peter.:thumbs:

johnny5

Registered
Just bought myself the Axminster BS350 version to replace my little silverline table top. It did cost me £349 on offer at the moment.
A good sturdy saw with a 750w motor with an 8 inch 200mm cut.
I love it, just cut 20 purple heart hardwood blanks from a 450mm 2x2 which cost me £5.00 in the Welsh woodturning meet in the Botanical gardens a few weeks ago.
No effort at all , just took my time and not force the timber through the blade.
It suits my needs and hopefully it will last me for a long time.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Found my best investment with the bandsaws has been the special hardened blades they cut burl like butter. Using the big fat blades that monster timber is not for me any more using 1/2 inch and happy. The first bandsaw I bought was a 3/4 ton meat saw with a stainless steel movingbase. Got rid of that table fitted a fixed one these saws have a huge throat that will accomodate very large items. Used it for donkeys years then resurrected and 8 foot tall C frame saw with a 4 hp motor such a monster. I realise that I do not need all this really heavy stuff my main saw is 3 hp Carba Tech quite large I inherited when my son in law ran out of space we have horse traded a few items between us.

Peter.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Just bought myself the Axminster BS350 version to replace my little silverline table top. It did cost me £349 on offer at the moment.
A good sturdy saw with a 750w motor with an 8 inch 200mm cut.
I love it, just cut 20 purple heart hardwood blanks from a 450mm 2x2 which cost me £5.00 in the Welsh woodturning meet in the Botanical gardens a few weeks ago.
No effort at all , just took my time and not force the timber through the blade.
It suits my needs and hopefully it will last me for a long time.

Got myself one of those a few years back Johnny. A good saw.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).