• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another spalted Holly vase

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have just finished this one it involved a lot of hand sanding one very big bit did fly of as I was removing the inside but being spalted it glued back ok there is a photo showing the join it is part of the art of turning this sort of thing is never stand in the line of fire well that should apply with all turning 6" x 41/2" with a polish finish Enjoy
DSCF2309.JPGDSCF2311.JPGDSCF2313.JPGDSCF2312.JPGDSCF2314.JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bloody hell dad you lunatic, you could see there was gonna be nuffink in the middle.
Stunning job my dear fella.
Don't gonna be putting water init aye.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody hell dad you lunatic, you could see there was gonna be nuffink in the middle.
Stunning job my dear fella.
Don't gonna be putting water init aye.

You know me Brian I just love pushing the boundary and the end product was exactly how I envisaged it would be but there was one to many splits that's why the bit flew off but hay that's part of the fun of natural edge turning aint it

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Woody, you must have a great vision to see what such a log would produce, I would have put it on the food for woodworm pile. You've produced another work of art from it however and its absolutely lovely.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody, you must have a great vision to see what such a log would produce, I would have put it on the food for woodworm pile. You've produced another work of art from it however and its absolutely lovely.

It dont always work that way Paul thats part of the joy of natural edge turning more often than not you haven't got a clue what you will end up with but every now and then you can see what it will be

Paul

Fellow
Fantastic, going inside with the uneven rim for the first time doing a natural edge must be stressful.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Fantastic, going inside with the uneven rim for the first time doing a natural edge must be stressful.

The first time I made one like this was about 15 years ago and about twice the size of this one the secret Paul is to run the lathe as fast as you dare and dont hesitate just get in there

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody looking over your natural edged piece again I marvel still you have your fingers,face and body parts still in their rightful places after doing work like this the last dangerous large bowl was using red gum that was more open lattice looking than closed timber it showered me from all over at high speed coming off the lathe from this 2 feet 6inch monster. It cut intact on the outside the bark first then the cut aways followed by the let goes convinced me and that was the last bowl I made. It turned out so impressive I gave it to the guy I bought it off and he gives it pride of place in his home. It came from one of his paddocks.

To repeat these creations of yours are really special and do require great skill you demonstrate in spades.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).