• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

From the log shed.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Looking through the burnables this morning, found an interesting looking piece of Ash.
Here is the result.

Spalted Ash_640x360.jpg

SA1_640x474.jpg

SA2_640x469.jpg

SA3_616x480.jpg

Turned Ash, rather than turned to ash:funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil, like the turning pic 2 looks like an scary version of a Martian with wicked eyes and a lava filled mouth. Heck its magnificent mate. What is the predominate burning wood in the UK the best heat for the buck? Over here some of the wood consumes fire bricks inside the unit and have to be used sparingly intermixed with other timbers eg Yellow Box pic of the burl form of Yellow Boxwood so we aussies must consume unknown quantities in our fireboxes. I just obtained blanks from a guy thousands of km away who sells firewood who says one in a thousand trees yield magnificent grain as he cuts up the different timbers for users around his area.The burl in the pic came from over this side of Australia.

Well seen mate love the saving of the resource and the results.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 39

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks guys.
Peter. The output of our small log burner was based on the calorific value of burning Beech.
It's a small Scandinavian model (3 to 4 KW.), but it is fine for what we need.
I have found, however, that moderation is needed when burning offcuts of wood like Iroko!
Here's an old English poem, relating to open fires.

burning_328x480.jpg

Hope you can see this.
This forum seems to have gone very slow for me tonight.
Every thing else seems OK.
Neil

Jim

Grand Master
Better turned than burned Neil, you done a super job with it my friend .. :thumbs:

Site running ok my end .. :thinks:

naxie

Registered
A great save of a great peice of wood. Must have been good fun to turn on that tenon, thats what a dovetail is all about. Well done Neil.:thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks for the comments guys.
Better turned than burned!
Forum is still slow this morning, so it must be something at this end:nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).