• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bench sanders-what a mine field

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
As funds have been released from the bank manager :banana: I have been looking recently for a new bench top sander.

What a minefield.. Do I go for a belt or just a disc? or both on one machine ?

I know the disc is mainly used for end grain sanding and the belts used for long grain usually but I currently have an old disk sander that was home made but I have now had enough of the Elf and safety risks associated with every switch on of the bl***dy thing. doesn't start on its own and needs a bit of assistance but once it up and running is just about bearable

So your thoughts and suggestions if anyone has got a bit of kit they can recommend the fire away.

Looked at most of what is available on tinternet but gave up with memory overload..

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I am waiting till the show at the end of the month so i can have a look at some of them

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have just recently bought a Record disc and belt sander with the disc being 6 in diameter.I used to have a 10 in homemade sander fitted to my lathe and now I prefer the bigger disc so if I had the option again I would have bought a 10in Record disc sander.
I hope that helps Eamonn !!!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I bought the Axi 610 about 15 months ago and have been happy with it so far.
It has 10" disk and 6" wide belt, reasonable tables and flat sanding areas. I think I would have regretted buying the smaller model I first considered.

Bob

Last edited:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I don't use the belt much any more, but that's probably because I had too coarse a grit (80) and it left score marks on anything I used it on. I I got a cheap nasty SIP - wholeheartedly would NOT recommend it.

:down:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Eamonn I have a cheapo Screwifix or similar belt and disc sander had it for years, never let me down, still working well.
From what I have seen of the more expensive models they look the same with a different name or colour.
Maybe they do have better bearings and more power in the motor. I wanna rub down wood not ride it round the M25.
I also have two or five other disc sanders all of which get used dependant upon my mood init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I've had a Clarke belt & disc sander for well over 10 years, it was relatively cheap but it has done everything I have ever needed and I have not had any problems with it, maybe I have just been lucky.

Robin

Jim

Grand Master
every switch on of the bl***dy thing. doesn't start on its own and needs a bit of assistance but once it up and running is just about bearable

Eamonn, i have a Sealey Bench Belt & Wheel Sander about 3 years old that does exactly as above, started after about 18 months .. But it does me a good job .. :thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Eamonn, i have a Sealey Bench Belt & Wheel Sander about 3 years old that does exactly as above, started after about 18 months .. But it does me a good job .. :thumbs:

If these are 240V models, they probably need a new start up capacitor. They are normally mounted on the motor, sometimes under a cover.
They are not too expensive 16µF 440V Motor Run Capacitor | Maplin
Fit a new one, and it should be as good as new:up:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've got a AWEBDS610 Belt & Disc Sander. I don't use it a lot, probably because I too have 80 grit and perhaps should get something a bit finer... but also I don't do a lot of other work than turn pens... at the moment...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I prefer the 12 inch gave away an 18 inch to a mate in my downsizing but a tip if you do fit a quick change hook and eye Velcro to the unit saves heaps of time and you can change grits so easily as well still have 4 more disk sanders \plus a vertical bobbin sander, prefer a separate belt sander far more accessable. Also again remember only half the disk sander is useful so a quarter of a six inch is mingy.

Peter.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
I don't use the belt much any more, but that's probably because I had too coarse a grit (80) and it left score marks on anything I used it on. I I got a cheap nasty SIP - wholeheartedly would NOT recommend it.

:down:

I concur entirely, biggest pile of c**p I've ever bought! Only bought it because of the 8" disc, wish I'd never bothered.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

My home made one has reverse as well, but it doesn't need help in reverse..:down:

If these are 240V models, they probably need a new start up capacitor. They are normally mounted on the motor, sometimes under a cover.
They are not too expensive 16µF 440V Motor Run Capacitor | Maplin
Fit a new one, and it should be as good as new:up:
Don't think I can be bothered about putting a new capacitor on it thanks Neil. It's an old one that my dad changed the motor from a reverse tumble dryer motor. i remember it was what he got his hands on at the time..

Thanks for the info guys, not sure if its worth getting two separate units or get a belt and disc combined..

Looked at the 610, nice machine but a bit pricey, will have to speak to bank manager again if I need to step up to that..

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Eamonn

I have an old Axminster AS408 bought second hand off ebay. It does the job but has a few issues such as rattling like a bag of hammers and the alignment of the disk changing whenever you re-position the belt. If I was to replace it I would go for something better. The 610 is definitely one option I would consider.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just a thought a fairly close down to the belt sander end stop is an essential SWMBO had one with a gap under and had a finger altered somewhat for quite a time when it caught under. She had her own workshop gear when she was making cats hanging from, peeping around etc with her four scroll saws as a grandmother making things for the family, with herself a genuine artist she painted very realistic cut outs. I went to a working with wood show bought her a Hegner Saw 1200.00 dollars
she never used it too much fuss she said and mainly used the Dremel hand squeezed pin blade unit she preferred for ease of use. After a few years she went back to intensive quilting knitting I was bequeathed saws etc and another workshop.

A belt sander then a larger disk sander is invaluable when making pen rests boxes etc, the bobbin sander for internal circle finishing. Horses for courses.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).