• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

bandsaw

cowboy

Registered
got the chance of a bench top bandsaw for £50 it`s a Charnwood w720 Bandsaw it`s only been used once or twice any-body got any info good or bad {urgent}
thanks
cowboy

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Yep, I agree with the others got to be worth a punt for that kind of money, I'm sure you could sell it on at no lose if you couldn't get on with it.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
as above, for £50 what have you got to loose. With a price of over £450 from poolewood it would be silly not to get it. You could sell it on for more than that.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Go for it you would be mad not to even if you have to spend a few quid on it the only thing I would recommend immediately is to fit a good quality blade

cowboy

Registered
search hard you always find what your after

max cutting depth 150 mm
Throat depth 300 mm
Table size 480mm x 400mm
Motor {induction} 550w
it will do for me for a while {hope-fully} anybody got one? to give some set-up advice

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bargain, well done. You can call Billy bandsaw anything you like it can't hear you init?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
search hard you always find what your after

max cutting depth 150 mm
Throat depth 300 mm
Table size 480mm x 400mm
Motor {induction} 550w
it will do for me for a while {hope-fully} anybody got one? to give some set-up advice

Worth buying a book that details the so many necessary steps IMHO or a video if you buy a guide make sure it is adjustable.

A tip worthwhile is to use a hardened tipped blade and using an old flat oilstone dress the rear of the blade while running carefully not exerting heavy pressure, use a small clearance throat, set the bearings either side as guides using a small clearance but allow for the join to pass through. Sorry just started to write a manual for users. Having owned saws with up to one metre wheels I did find out over so many years the absolute need for correct alignment etc.

To my shame I never release the tension on the blade after use having sworn my way through the refit after starting a saw with a slack blade far too many times.

Have fun they can be your most dangerous friend unless you ensure proper holding methods feeding material into the saw those helpers that look like half an iron maiden with spikes, woodsrews on plates etc well worth the accuracy gain as well. Make sure you have an early warning system with the family while you use them amusing things like boo from behind could be fatal. I tend to insist if machinery is being used a distant sound before interrupting or wear the consequences.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).