• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old newbie from Lincoln

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Hello to all you PenTurners out there, I have been tiptoeing around the fringes of the forum for a couple of weeks, so time to jump in.

I have not done any turning since I was at school in the late 1960's and I don't remember anyone being to impressed with anything I produced but for some reason I have this feeling its something I need to do again, So i've made a space in the shed for a lathe, watched umpteen videos on YouTube and tomorrow its off to Turners Retreat tomorrow for a pen turning course.

Hope to pick up many tips and advice where needed from all you guys (& gals) out there

Cheers, Billy

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Wotrchya Billy come in and join the banter, there is no thing as a bad turner, just different styles.
Don't be shy, don't be a stranger, ask away and get 50 different answers init?

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Billy, if you have any questions then fire them away, we have guys in here who will help you out in an instance .. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Billy save your money and come here I'm closer in Newark than T/R and I don't charge also next Sat there are a load of us meeting up for the woodworking show in Newark why not come along

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I just knew you was gonna say that dad.
Billy that is the best offer you will ever get in the whole of your life grasp it with both hands and get yourself over to Woody towers.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome Billy save your money and come here I'm closer in Newark than T/R and I don't charge also next Sat there are a load of us meeting up for the woodworking show in Newark why not come along

Thanks for the invite, would love to take you up on it but will still go to T/R because i've already paid, I will also be going to Newark Showground next week, hopefully will meet up with some of the forum members there.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Welcome aboard Billy. Enjoy the banter plus save yourself some money and visit Woody who will teach you all that there is to know about pen turning but be warned if you dare pinch one of his cans of John Smiffs he will chop your hands off !!! LOL :funny::funny::funny:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered

Billy, you'd be bonkers not to take Woody up - he is far and away the best turner most of us on this forum have ever met. He is also a great teacher and incredibly generous with his time. Just don't be surprised if he locks his tools away when you come - he had a bad experience once! Ain't that so, Terry?

:devil::devil:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Billy, you'd be bonkers not to take Woody up - he is far and away the best turner most of us on this forum have ever met. He is also a great teacher and incredibly generous with his time. Just don't be surprised if he locks his tools away when you come - he had a bad experience once! Ain't that so, Terry?

But I am buying my next tool from the Woody stable !!!!! LOL:mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex

this is were he keeps them after last time

bank-vault-blog.jpg

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Welcome Billy, sadly I wont be able to be at Newark showground next weekend but you'll manage to see this lot quite easily, they'll be followed by a group in white coats carrying straight jackets. Barking, every one of them.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Welcome Billy, sadly I wont be able to be at Newark showground next weekend but you'll manage to see this lot quite easily, they'll be followed by a group in white coats carrying straight jackets. Barking, every one of them.

an i will be the one that looks about 17 o wait i am 17 :banana::banana::banana:

naxie

Registered
You'll manage to see this lot quite easily, they'll be followed by a group in white coats carrying straight jackets. Barking, every one of them.

It will be security following Terry Neil. :whistling:

Welcome to the forum Billy!:waver:

I wish I was closer to Newark. :sob:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome aboard Billy. Enjoy the banter plus save yourself some money and visit Woody who will teach you all that there is to know about pen turning but be warned if you dare pinch one of his cans of John Smiffs he will chop your hands off !!! LOL :funny::funny::funny:

With the offer from Woody I am sure i can supply a few cans of John Smiths

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
With all these recommendations for Woodys School of Pen Turning it looks like I need to book some quality time with him

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).