• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Green Oak Bowl.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Turned this today.
Green oak_640x426.jpg

View from other side

Green oak1_640x409.jpg

Inside and bottom.

Green oak3_545x480.jpg

Green oak2_621x480.jpg

It's 10mm thick, 115mm High an 200mm D.
Any guesses where it will split first, are much appreciated:funny:
Regards,
Neil

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Neil,

Difficult to get the dimensions of this bowl in perspective from the angles you have photographed it, any chance of one at about 45 degrees off the horizontal so we can see the height against the diameter or am I just being bloody awkward?

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
You're just been bloody awkward:ave_it:
You have seen this blank Neil, and I did explain how I intended to turn it!:bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
That knotty grain looks very nice indeed Neil, was this the place it cracked .. The knot sure catches the eye .. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice bowl Neil. I'm hoping it doesn't crack... boil it.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hopefully it won't split Neil, the laburnum bowl I turned cross grain recently is now safely indoors & hasn't split, it did have a good few weeks wrapped in kitchen towel after turning & oiling, with luck yours will be the same, I hope so as it looks a very nice bowl :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Mate this is a tidy little number. I love the rays through the grain. It'll look good split or no split.:thumbs::thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice bowl Neil a very good form and balance well done I wouldn't be surprised if it just belly's out on the centres which would add to the overall effect

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well Neil I reckon the split will occur from the pith in the second photo is that precise enough for you. Nice bowl by the way:thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks for the comments guys. (Hello Derek, nice to see you here!)

I turned the bowl with the intention of letting it do its own thing.
I've moderated the movement slightly, by coating it in food safe oil as it dries, there are now lumps and bumps, as expected, but so far no splits. I'm sure there will be some eventually, but they will be considered a design opportunity :bwink:

It already feels half the weight it was yesterday!
I'll let you know how it goes,
Neil

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
The bowl has stopped moving now, so the update as promised.
DSCN0714_640x480.jpg

DSCN0711_640x480.jpg

DSCN0708_640x480.jpg

There is only one slight crack on the inside, which corresponds with the small bark inclusion (bottom left) in the first picture.

DSCN0709_640x480.jpg

Not bad for all those knots!
Regards,
Neil

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Well that is very nice Neil and has developed itself into a lovely shape.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).