• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tri-Cornered Bowl

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
This bowl is made from American Black Walnut. I cut out a equilateral triangle and carfully centred it on a screw chuck shaped the outside and the underside of the wings. reverse chucked in a scroll chuck skimed the wings and turned the bowl inner, reverse chucked again this time in the cole jaws to finish the foot.
The whole thing was sanded on the lathe to 400grit, removed from the lathe and marked out for piercing. I used a dremel with a fine diamond burr to do the piercing followed by more sanding to 400 grit to remove any stray wood fibres.
Finish is Danish oil.
Measurements are 6" along each edge stands 1 3/8" tall the wings are 1/8" thick

DSCF2607-001.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice I to enjoy making the try corner bowls but a bit different to yours and without the piercing

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
All the hard work, time and effort that went into that is very apparent and you should be proud of that. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neat winged one Derek, the piercing is the icing on the cake mate. Hard work with the Dremel unless you have a larger hand than me. I bought an SKF 350.000 rpm air impeller unit to save cramping fingers.

Peter.:thumbs::waver::claps:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you all I enjoy just getting out into the shed and working with wood

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Derek a work of art mate careful piercing does that burr get over hot or is it quite course? Many oportunities to score injury during the turning I dismantled my home made Cole jaws but then it was quite large. Great colour and finish the random piercin complete success. You covered the process so well.

Outstanding art piece mate.

Peter.:nooidea::contacts::claps:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).