• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My version of a three cornered bowl.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
A few weeks ago I saw Dalboys (Derek) version of a tri cornered bowl on another forum and I liked it so much that I wanted to have a go at making one but in my version I wanted to turn the wings down.
Speaking to Woody I asked him if it was viable considering there is large gaps between each wing thereby making it difficult tool control. Woody's answer was " Give it a go " so in for a penny in for a pound. I managed to get a large enough piece of wood from John Boddy's and it is Black Cabbage Bark.
The dimensions of the bowl is (9 in x 11/2 in) and the finish is Finishing oil and is still a work in progress.
My thanks to Derek for giving me the inspiration and to Woody for giving me the belief it could be done !!!

Attachments

• DSCN0217.JPG
    DSCN0217.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0219.JPG
    DSCN0219.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 50

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is bloody great Terry. Pure class. Very well turned and finished with fantastic style. Now get off to the hospital to sort your knuckles out :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Super admiration to Terry the great for having the nuts to have a go.
I submit to you good people he deserves the HAVE A GO HERO award for this superb attempt.
Well done mate.
I love it init?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Super admiration to Terry the great for having the nuts to have a go.
I submit to you good people he deserves the HAVE A GO HERO award for this superb attempt.
Well done mate.
I love it init?

It was quite difficult to turn down those wings Brian when the the bowl is spinning at 1250 rpm and it is virtually impossible to see the wings so feeling for them with the bowl gouge is crucial !!!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well done Terry. I particularly like what you did with the rim to help define between the bowl section and the wings.

Also glad that my Tri-cornered bowl gave you the inspiration.

I know that the first time i did a bowl with wings i was very nervous at trying it, with a bit of common sense like standing to one side of the line of fire if it broke it was not as bad as many think

Jim

Grand Master
That is up there with the best Terry, you have done a super job with it.. :thumbs: Love it .. :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry I'm late answering this one We have just got home.
I knew you could do it Terry that has turned out to be a first class bit of turning my friend bloody well done you and your bowl deserve all the praise a going you have done a superb job of it, it dose take balls of steel to do this type of thing for the first few times and with your bum cheeks squeezed so tight that you wont fart for a week well done

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Sorry I'm late answering this one We have just got home.
I knew you could do it Terry that has turned out to be a first class bit of turning my friend bloody well done you and your bowl deserve all the praise a going you have done a superb job of it, it dose take balls of steel to do this type of thing for the first few times and with your bum cheeks squeezed so tight that you wont fart for a week well done

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).