• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How I cast my blanks

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Hi Folks, just thought I would share how I cast my resin blanks. I started casting because I felt restricted by the limited choice of commercially available acrylics and polyester blanks that we all see online and at the shows. I was inspired to have a go by seeing some fantastic blanks on a penturners forum and thought I would have a go. Lots of time, cash, and cursing later I felt I had done OK. Like everything though there is plenty to still learn and mistakes to be made.

I made this rack using some ash faced mdf and drilled a series of holes in two different sizes. The tube in the middle is just the handle.
P1010008.jpg

Here the tubes are in the rack ready for the pour. I place a piece of polythene over each hole before pushing the tube in so the resin doesn't stick to the mdf. (I now use empty cereal packets instead of polythene as they resist the resin really well.
P1010009.jpg

Here we are, a full pour ready to go into the pressure pot.
P1010011.jpg

Here's a batch in the bottom of the pot. Plenty of room in here for two layers if only I could pour them fast enough. (I know, socks with sandles:nonono: it's cold in there!!)
P1010010.jpg

And here's a couple of batches that came out really good.
DSCF6549.jpg
DSCF6590.jpg
DSCF6552.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you like them.

Eric...

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hope you like them I love em are you going to start selling them our friend Rowdy has been turning out some stunning blanks which I am in the process of turning I'm not sure I would have the patience to do it and the thought of the smell turns me of so I do admire people like you who make there own blanks well done

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks for sharing that Eric, its very informative. The blanks you've finished look great and I'm sure that if you decide to sell them there would be plenty on this forum that would like to buy some.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Eric you wear your talent well mate beaut work and thanks for simplfying the process.\ most appreciated. The simplest method I have seen so far.

Peter.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
They look great Eric ...can't find your web site by Googling ..your going to have to come clean and name it .:thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Thankyou for taking the time to post your method, it's something I would really like to try when I can find some time. Looking through your site is also very interesting, some lovely blanks on offer.:hypnotysed:

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice Eric, some great looking blanks you have Sir .. :thumbs: How do you pour in the mixture and not get it all over the place .. :whistling:

I use three 90grm cups and try pouring all three together, but i tend to miss the tubes quite a bit .. :rolling:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Eric

I had a poke about on your website and your blanks look very interesting indeed. Will definitely give them a go next time I'm ready to buy.

Bob

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Very nice Eric, some great looking blanks you have Sir .. :thumbs: How do you pour in the mixture and not get it all over the place .. :whistling:

I use three 90grm cups and try pouring all three together, but i tend to miss the tubes quite a bit .. :rolling:

Hi Jim,

here is how I do my multi coloured blanks.

First yo make one of these...
DSCF5822.jpg

Then one of these...
DSCF5823.jpg

Then put them together like this...
DSCF5821.jpg

This enables me to pour upto 4 colours at once with very little waste...
DSCF5829.jpg

The stainless rods act as stoppers so that you can stem the flow as you move to the next mold. I know it's a bit Heath Robinson but it works for me.
Give it a try, you can even use the four tubes to do a 2 colour blank but do twice as many at once. I manage to get about 14 blanks from 1 pour.

Eric...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).