• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

banksia box

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
My mate asked me to make a ring box for his missus, had no real idea of what he wanted so he said, "do something a bit different". So different is what he got. Just turned a small box from a banksia pod, and for the lid I used an oak cube turned on its diagonal axix.

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_082826.jpg
    IMG_20140323_082826.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 71

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am attracted to the Banksia box immediately because it can be a difficult media and your turning of it is excellent ,then the lid is cute nearly competing with the box but this could only be the angle of the picture methinks. Different it is and lovely too with the elusive nature of rings they should also be easy to see on the top waiting to be put on. My dearly beloveds fingers were long and slender, she used to wear several rings on one finger resulting in them all wearing almost through in the band, as time went on finger size changes so I with permission gathered them up and had a jeweller friend remake the stones using melted rings reshaped into one. OK dangerous territory but success.

The box reminds me of Japanese Nekuse used as a robe fastener anciently they have been a real fascination for me for years with their small size and lovely detail I find naturally in Banksia Nuts. Considering the large sizes in the Banksia nuts from Western Australia they are sure adaptable.

Love it Brody.

Peter.:waver::claps::pounds:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thats lovely Brody, I've never had a go with Banksia as it looks very difficult. You have certainly made it very nice indeed whatever the degree of difficulty.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
Thats lovely Brody, I've never had a go with Banksia as it looks very difficult. You have certainly made it very nice indeed whatever the degree of difficulty.
It aint that bad mate, uf I can anyone can. It is a furry messy beast though. Bit like having a bigfoot at the barbers! :funny:

cheers mate

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
That I like! If the detailing around the bottom of the finial was designed to mimic the holes in the banksia fantastic, if they weren't, fantastic! That detail ties the two in for me otherwise the shape of the lid might have looked a bit odd with the shape of the nut?

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I've not turned banksia nut, the few of them I have are waiting expectantly on the shelf! Not being familiar with the material, the density and how it turns, is it feasible to turn a section to use as an inset?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Brody,

Lovely box, that is! Great-looking and useful!
Hardest bloody stuff I've ever turned is banksia pod. Jeez, it's so hard!

Bob.

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I've not turned banksia nut, the few of them I have are waiting expectantly on the shelf! Not being familiar with the material, the density and how it turns, is it feasible to turn a section to use as an inset?
You could turn inset from one of these mate yes. The bigger the pod the better though as there are holes from the seed pods that go the majority of the way to the core of the pod.

Cheers

Brody:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My pro mate makes coasters (try cutting banksia nuts slices so thin) just joking no need at all he makes from huge bagfulls so many turned items they require bulls cajones IMHO to work daily man they shed cutters certainly not for the fainthearted. I will see him in a couple of weeks and seek permission to show some of his work including carved bowls and turned bowls using Liberon stuff since I raved about that already.

Reviewing your ring box Brody I repeat neat turning that difficult most beautiful Banksia.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).