• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Gorilla glue

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The thread about CA making the nose run made me look at some of the glues recommended by others. Out of them i wouldn't mind trying out Gorilla glue. Can someone who actually uses this fr gluing in the tubes give more feedback please. :thumbs:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
incredible stuff, but takes a little longer to set...
You moisten one side with a little water, as it is required for setting....
When it dries, it looks that the expanding polyurethane foam filler.... so be careful, it sticks like glue.
I use it for knife handles, and occasionally pen blanks.

Jim

Grand Master
Gorilla glue is just polyurethane glue that was an exorbitant price in a tiny bottle.
In Adelaide I found an Aussie made polyurethane glue called Vise in 500ml bottle, you probably have a local manufacturer in UK some where.

Being a tad interested in the same subject i did a search for the Vise glue Mark, it looks as though Aussie and New Zealand is the only areas it is for sale in ... :down:

Old Corky

I have been using Gorilla glue for about a year to glue the brass tubes in the blanks and love and hate it. It sticks to anything including you. However, I did find one product that will remove it from your hands, "Goo Gone" Used to use it to remove labels from items in flea market days.

I usually glue up some blanks tonight and turn them tomorrow.Let it dry over night 10 or12 hours, but have turned some after 5 or 6 hours with no problems. I like it because it is a very good space filler for slightly loose fits.

Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I also use it to glue tubes in fragile blanks. I glue up the blanks and let them set overnight. I find that fragile blanks are less likely to shatter when glued with the Gorilla Glue. For normal wood blanks I use epoxy.

Sharon

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
PU Glue. horrible stuff, one thing to watch if you must use it though is that the stuff expands as it sets and the glue as it expands can eject the brass tube from the wood sometimes by as much as up to 8mm. Its annoying to return and find all the brass tubes sticking out of the wood blanks - in the bin and start again! It does have the benefit of expanding within the join so coverage is guaranteed but if you use the potato method of gluing with epoxy I find that I can virtually guarantee getting total coverage with epoxy, my preferred choice of adhesive

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I'm curious - I've not used Gorilla glue at all (I have a vastly expensive bottle of the stuff still in its baggie to keep it watertight) because I understood that the expanding foam has no gluing strength and is actually very brittle. In other words I thought that if you had small gaps needing filling this was NOT the stuff to use! You guys who have used it seem to find different, however. Interesting! Might have to give it a try, as I am rapidly falling out of love with CA.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
In Australia for many years some son of a sea cook locked up the name Gorilla Glue so even they the manufacturers could not sell their product. Problem solved it is available also there are several other similar glues to use now in this country.

Yes they are fabulous no I never use water near a pen for obvious reasons what I do with Gorilla type glues is undo the lid apply freely using skewer sticks like the butcher uses, since I normally glue up a lot ar a time I line them all up in a row glued then I come back every now and then and push and hold any that have pushed the brass out of position sometimes one two or three never more using a tapered brass piece to keep my fingers out of the way. Some people use rubber bands to hold the blank while drying. I stopped using epoxy the five minute sets quick the longer use skins fairly soon great for one or two the strongest epoxy is never the short setting one.

I always use a potato plug must look like a Surgeon carefully cleaning each stage of the process I give the brass a good work out as well with sandpaper. Cardinal rule is scrupulous preparation then at least two days full setting time to be sure to be sure.

Tried CA had some stick half way always slide a dummy brass just before glueing cause sometimes they are too tight.

Its a lottery my mates some use the cheapest white glue etc no probs. My wife has used craft glues for ever and she introduced the open lid technique but I promise you I have had to throw away more containers of glue than anyone else cause of the time between uses than anyone else.

Another mate of mine has never lost a blank never roughs the brass uses CA as he goes then turns sells a motza in the summer sits them in the sun after glueing horses for courses. One time my daughter married a guy from England and he emigrated and brought with him for me some Gorilla Glue. He was a penmaker as well. Kind regards Peter.

Have fun I do.

Jim

Grand Master
Hi, I,m a complete beginner with not even a lathe yet, what is the potato method?
Regards Terry

Exactly as George says Terry, it bungs the end up of the tube while you are placing it into the blank .. I then knock it out within seconds so that it does not go hard and leaves a deposit on the tube ..:bwink:

Welcome to the site btw, and are you going to be getting a lathe for pen turning ... :thinks:

This is the only gluing method that i have tried ... :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).